1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Woman in this business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by blkbutterflyy, May 5, 2006.

1. blkbutterflyy

blkbutterflyy LawnSite Member

So i don't know if any of you have guessed but I am a woman. My husband and I have planned to start our business and I actually plan to do some work. I talked to my brother and he tells me that he doesn't picture me doing that. Its hard work and sees my husband more starting the business with another man. Whatever. I'm not a girly girl and don't mind getting my hands dirty. Have you guys seen any woman do this?:weightlifter: :weightlifter:
  2. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

GOOD GREIF! a woman doing lawn work? Just kidding, it is hard work but women are doing it. Good luck.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You'll be fine, don't pay them no mind but don't forget to add an invisible $5 surcharge for that comment from future customers LOL

If it makes you feel any better, we all get those comments, that one just happens to be unique to your gender but I call those the 'nay-sayers.' It is unfortunate but much as folks say otherwise, sometimes deep down inside we don't want to see you succeed so we say these things without thinking...

Don't pay it much mind, it's nothing.
  4. cwmiller928

cwmiller928 LawnSite Member

I recently saw a girl doing some apartment complexes by me, and i drove by she was wearing a wife beater, with some jeans with holes all in them carrying a weed eater and smoking a cigerette., lol i laughed about that for awhile.
  5. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Lots of girls around here in landscaping. I would hire one in a second :D.

I Am A Woman, Pretty Much My Husband Does All The Work (labor) He Doesn't Believe Women Can Do This Type Of Work Or Know Anything About It. Only When Someone Is Upset He Wants Me To Handle It. Go Figure. If It Was A Woman Doing The Work It Would Be Done Right The First Time. Lol J/k
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yea..I see myself do it all the time.Because of the area I live in..mowing and maint did not pay for me..too far between jobs ..impossible to get a tight route and all the commercials tied up under contracts
    with other companies.So I went into Landscaping only and have done very well at it for quite a few years now.On my own.
  8. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, getting hot and sweaty and dirty and tired are all part of the package. But it feels really good to look at a completed job and know that it looks GREAT! Go ahead, get dirty, it'll wash off and you'll have a good time doing the work.

I'm a woman whose been in business for myself for 20 years this year. Says it all.
  9. blkbutterflyy

blkbutterflyy LawnSite Member

:) :) thank you for the votes of confidence. I really needed them.
  10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats for your 20 YEARS in the biz Kate!
    That is great and quite an accomplishment to be proud of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: