Women as Owners

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JHLawns, Oct 25, 2006.

1. JHLawns

JHLawns LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have heard about alot of companies owned by the wives. Could someone tell me the advantages to the business to do this. I thought there used to be some tax breaks or something if the business was owned by a woman but I can't seem to find any information.

Thanks

2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I do not know about tax breaks, but I know that the City of Savannah gives business preference to minority business owners, and that includes women. I may actually change my business license when it is renewed next year and list my wife as the owner of my business.

3. JHLawns

JHLawns LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Yes, so far the only thing I have found was preference in government contracts. Not sure I even want to deal with that though.

4. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

There are both Federal and state programs for Minority Owned Businesses. Google it. It isn't just for women-owned, but also other minorities (ethnic, disables, etc..).

Some of we women who actually DO THE WORK resent those businesses who "work the system" by putting a woman in as a figurehead owner. I know of multiple construction firms whose ONLY woman on the books is the "owner". Guess who does all the REAL work? Did you guess the husband and a bunch of other guys?

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Kate...I bet the majority are nothing more than figureheads to get Fed and State preference.

6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually its not as easy as you think. We have another company that my mother owns so its a certified NJ W.B.E. They go through everything canceled checks to see whose making deposits, who signs the contracts, who sends faxes, etc. Im sure certain states are different but I know in NJ it took her close to a year just to get certified with a few agencies. Its a pretty good advantage for her but there are so many other W.B.E.s and M.B.E.s out there it doesn't really make to much of a difference.

7. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

Well, the way it should be is EQUAL to everyone who bids. A company should not have to misrepresent itself to get particular work, but because of discrimation to the majority (which actually is not the majority anymore) some have to resort to this.

8. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds an awful lot like "It's OK to lie if it puts ME at an advantage, but not if it puts YOU at an advantage".

9. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

In this day and time there should be no reason the minority card should even work anymore. There can be no discrimination if they are taking low bid, but if the next higher bid is a minority and they pull it, then the system is definately screwed up.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Kate, kudos on figuring ot a way to work in a male dominated field and succeding in it.

I think you should do a thread on some of the benefits and draw backs to being a minority owned business in the field of Landscaping.

Also if there are any other minority based operation you should chime in and tell your experience with dealing with the coorperate world.

I would be interested in what and how contracts are awarded and what all it invovles for minority based operations
    Just how much of an advantage or disadvantage does a minority owned company have over a "non" minority owned co.