women business owners???(lawn care)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 10, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i recently saw a thread here about women employees. i didn't read or respond to it.how about women solo operators, or a two man(women) crew? i picked up 7 new lawns today. there was a young lady who started in this area last year, aparrently her pricing, and the novelty of "a womens touch" was enough to land her loads of work. today i picked up 7 on one block that she dissapointed. she was inconsistant(unable to handle the physical workload) , not knowledgable (lawns infested with weeds, edging shabby). she finnally threw in the towel. i'm sure it wasn't due to lack of effort, but she just couldn't cut it. so most of you agree that having a lady on the crew worked out great, my question is: how bout a female solo, or a entire female run lawn service. do women have the physical, mental, and emotional streghnth to handle the whole thing? or are they only good employees?

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

quote: do women have the physical, mental, and emotional streghnth to handle the whole thing?

NOPE. Most guys dont have it..HOW IN THE WORLD WOULD A WOMAN??;)

trevor

3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Wow Trevor,
    If I were you, I'd get your helmet on, because I feel you're about to be attacked by every woman on this site! :eek:

haven't seen any women working, or for that matter owning a solo operation around me here in Chicago burb's.

4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

The Parks Department here is loaded with women horticulturist, and they know thier stuff. Had a lady working on a site with me, very knowledgable, especially what grows best locally. I saw her planting, and digging, etc. Don't see why they wouldn't be able to handle it, as long as the work load is reasonable, but that goes for guys too.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There's a girl that does some work in this area who I presume is relatively new. She has a couple of Lazer XP's, and it APPEARED she did decent work. I was real busy a few weeks ago doing fert. aps, and stopped at a residence where this service was working - (that's where I met her). I asked if she was real busy and if she would be interested in cutting a small residential down the street (about a quarter acre), and asked if she could do it for 25. She said yes, she could. Well, a little while later, I pulled around the corner, and she was cutting the wrong house, so I stopped, and asked if she had a chance to look at the house I wanted cut (I thought the house she was cutting was perhaps a new customer). She asked me "This is not the house?" I said no, it's the one 2 doors down, the brown brick like I had told her. Anyway, since she had only done a partial border and two strips down the middle of the yard (don't ask me what that was all about), she hadn't cut much. So, she packed up her machine, and was going to move down the road to the house that needed cutting. Then, she couldn't find her keys, so I spent a few minutes walking around the yard where she had cut to help her find her keys. She found them a few minutes later, and she moved to the other house. Well, I left, and when I came back, I was in SHOCK! I couldn't beLIEVE she left that lawn looking the way she did. First, it wasn't even cut. You could tell she just went over it full speed, and left 3/4 of the stuff standing. 1/2 the trimming wasn't done, (she had a young guy stringtrimming for her), she didn't cut all the way to the property line (it was an obvious one with a telephone pole and two different grass heights), and the KICKER was she left grass blown all over the driveway and sidewalk. I didn't know what to do, so I called the owner right away to leave a message on his machine, letting him know that if he got home before I got there, I would be there shortly to clean this place up. Well, I ended up going over there and mowing the whole place over again, and straightening it out. I had NO idea this gal would do that. I guess some people have no integrity, let alone professional courtesy. I would never DREAM of leaving somone's place look like this..even if it's NOT one of my regular jobs...esPECially doing it for another service. Needless to say, I wasn't pleased, and extremely disappointed. I saw her again this week, and I wanted to stop and ask her what happened, but I didn't bother. She obviously don't know who I am or anything about me, or else she probably would have had a bit more respect than that. I only wish she could read this. I know ONE service that won't get any referrals from us!

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have only seen one in the last 4.5 years, that is actually out on the job site anyway

7. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

We have several all women companies and a few solos. A large portion do outstanding work. They seem to have an eye for detail.

8. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe as long as you put your heart and all your effort into something you can do it no matter who you are. I haven't seen many women owned companies around here but i do find that a lot of women are in the design business ie landscape design. Some have really made some sweet layouts.

Jeff

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

In 10 years of this full time, I've only come across a 2 women outfit around me. Have seen them a couple of times (both of them look to be in their early 30's and tough lookin' btw). Guess looks don't mean much cause they do pretty good work from what I have seen...I give them credit too.

10. Top Notch

Top Notch LawnSite Member

There's one her in town called "Lady's Touch". They run all men crews. I guess there is a lady involved somewhere, I just never saw her.

There is another 2 woman crew around here. One runs the Kubota ZTR and the other the trimmer. They seem to do good work too. It does look like they are the type of girls that could pee standing up if you know what I mean. Chain drive wallets, mullet haircuts, and a pack of Camels sticking out of their pockets...