women business owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dj'slawnservice, Nov 28, 2001.

1. dj'slawnservice

dj'slawnservice LawnSite Member

First , I want to thank all here who share and contribute their knowledge and experience. As a new member I've done tons of reading in the past several days and have been "educated" by some of the stuff here.
    My question is, Are there any women here who own the business and are out there working solo?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, we do have some very knowledgable women that contribute greatly here. I have seen a few women in my area doing this work. A few work solo, and several work with another woman partner. Honestly, as a owner, I wouldn't mind having a woman out doing the job. In many cases they work harder (possibly to prove something), and they will complain a lot less than some whinning boys.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My family is from northeast MS. Over the years I've spent a lot of time there. Where at in NE MS are you in? You can PM if you would like.

4. For 3 seasons one of my sisters in law was our best worker.
    she kept us working harder .She had to retire from the outfit to help her daughter raises her grandson.There isnt to many women around my area in the biz but the ones who are ,are quite sucessful.If you can do the hard work and are thinking of going are already solo i wish you good luck and hope you grow your companey fast.I say go for it

ps I was born and raised in mississippi in batesville pope area

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

employee,emplyer. buisness owner solo . none of it has to do with a persons gender. its about buisiness skill and skill and
    high standards in what we do day in ,day out . later now

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I think Jodi lets her husband work for her, once in a while.:D

7. I agree but we still have many people who live in old tradtions
    and women have not been traditionaly in the lawn care landscapeing industry.My point is i would like to see more and more diversity in the biz.I think women should be incouraged to join in our business

Here in the southeast suburbs of chicago there are lots of black and hispanic companies but almost no women owned although the ones that are women owned are successful.

just my .02

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I see tons of trucks and trailers everyday, and yet I haven't seen a woman once around here!!

A few years back when I was delivering furniture, we used to see this one company that had 2 or 3 young, very attractive girls working for them. Bikini tops on under sleeveless t-shirts and cut off denim shorts. We'd see them every couple weeks in different apartment complexes running mowers, trimmers, doing it all. I'd try not to stare, but man!
    They worked with a couple young guys. I don't know if it was family, or what.

But I've definately never seen a woman working solo though. Would be interesting.

9. GOGETTER

I would think the reason for that would be the backbreaking work it takes when you are solo

Not that there aint some up to the task like chynna the wrestler
    But she is the exception.
    Most women i know in the biz around here are owners or in a familey outfit ,where the workload and business decisions are shared.Just maintaining equipment can be a job.
    The combination of long hours maintaining equipment would be tough on a lady who went solo ,its tough on a man
    But i think if a lady is dedicated and strong willed she could do it.

10. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Think about this guys. YOUR lawn company name on the shirts that the girls gogetter described. I think business would pick up FAST.

I have two ladies cutting a yard down the road from me. Lawnmower rolled out of the back of a mini van. They did a great job too. Personally I'd like to see more women in this field. They can deal with problem customers better then men can. I don't think I'll mess with a woman with a Stilh weed eater with a brush blade on it.