Women in Landscaping business.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by marfabis13, Apr 24, 2006.

1. marfabis13

marfabis13 LawnSite Member

Is it possible for a woman to succeed in Landscaping business?
    I am a woman with 16 years old son. We were thinking about
    starting Landscaping business, but everyone is telling me this is
    soooo hard, is it true?:hammerhead:
    I am reading those posts and I am thinking it can be done.
    Did it happen to anyone that customer have a problem with a woman doing this job?
    Thank you for any feedback.
    Maria :waving:

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Are you talking about Landscaping or Lawncare?
    I have done both and had success.It's not for every
    woman though..you should have a people personality..good comunication skills,tact,strength and fortitude.And a competitive streak helps too.

3. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

I have always though women landscape operators would get a lot of business. They might get a few stubborn close-minded old folks that don't think women can work, but the chances of coming upon those people are slim. If you and your son love the work and work hard, then I think you would do pretty well. I've actually had female friends and family help me with work before, and sometimes they do much better work than guys I've hired of the same age.

Watch out for those "horny old pervert" clients though.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I have yet to meet a horney old pervert in my work.
    I have always been treated with respect by my clients.But that's cuz if they have a little comment to make..I usually have a quick comeback that puts them in their place immediatly and they don't do it again.

5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i saw a girl at the local stop and shop, she was working with a bunch of guys putting down prob. 350 yards of mulch. she was working circles around the guys. I watched for a min, and i believe that she was the crew chief.

6. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

yup ive seen a whole biz just girls called lady slipper landscapeing. i want to hire a girl i think they will get alot of biz. not that there looks but i think girls seem to be more of a people person then men. also looks might help lol.

7. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

A little off the subject but we've got a girl at work that easily out paces her male counterparts. When she started working for our company her boyfriend worked for us as a painter. She started out doing the same job and put her boy friend to shame. They broke up, he quit and she's still at it. Mind you this is no girlie work. She's painting 40 to 160" diameter steel air receivers. She's about 5 feet tall and probably weighs in at around 120-130. The right woman can do anything. A lot of it has to do with attitude and yes, a good dose of fortitude. Just make it happen. If you're worried that the work might be too hard then for you it probably is. But if you think you can make it work then best of luck to you. Give it your all.

8. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

It is all about the quality of work. Doesn't matter your sex, color, race, or anything. I would feel just as comfortable working with a women as a man. You would probably get a lot of business. It just depends on if this is what you want to do. Good luck!:drinkup:

9. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

I've been in business for 20 years. Yes, it's hard work - very hard work. It's also REALLY gratifying work - making a place look better than when you began, making the client happy, making the neighbors smile as they drive by.

If you think you can make it work, by all means go for it.

10. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member