1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

women in the work place

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy82, May 11, 2001.

1. hey all. i figured that since this is the most highly trafficked? area i would post on here. i have a guy who works for me on the books. he is from equador. guy really busts his butt to make an honest living for himself. he is now 29 or 30. he is married and has a 4 year old son with his wife. now sometimes i need another guy to come along, or 2 other guys, 3 other guys. whatever. so lately he has been bringing his wife with him. now this is not some 5'5 brown haired 115 lb woman. she is more like 4'6"? give or take. she is about 150 at least i would say. she is 28 now. today we were working digging a trench in the morning. her husband would use the pick to loosen things up and she would shovel right behind him. this woman really works like a dog. she does. i can leave her places to do work and no problems. now one day this past week i think it was i had a customer complain that i left her at a job to drag some brush or something that we had pulled up with a small excavator. she had whatever she needed to do the job. but they complained that i had a woman doing that stuff. keep in mind that this is not my girlfriend or wife, sister, etc. what do you guys think of this though?
  2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you've got one of them ignorant type of customers. You may have to educate that customer a little. My wife has worked for me in the past when desparately needed. A friend of hers used to work for our county parks department as a groundskeeper, and occasionally helps me. They didn't do any less physically demanding work than I did on those days. If she can physically handle it, there's no reason not to hire her.
  3. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Good help is hard to find. I would take a hard working women over a muscle bound shade tree magnet any day. If she is getting it done then who cares!
  4. to be honest with you i love having her around. i can trust her to do a good job, and work hard. the only problem though is today what happened. we start work at 9 am and they help me until 5:30 usually. Angel gets 110 a day. Rosa gets 100 a day. they normally work what? 9 - 5:30 is lets say 8 hours? 8 1/4 hours? w/ lunch. well today we started at 9 as always and i wanted to get some stuff done. i had very good customers who i told i would get things done for. well we went and dug the trench in 45 minutes, went to this other job and got done there at 3:30? so we then went to the deli to get a drink real fast. after that we went to a builder / congresswoman that i work for. i went up into the tree at i think 4 pm. at around quarter to 7 rosa starts saying matt need go home. i need to see my baby. blah blah blah. what is working 11 hours in one day gonna hurt if you only do it once every few months. that irked me tonight. they both kept saying need go home. then i had to get all my stuff put together real fast and go home. not a good night. but we did get a lot done.
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

lb82--read your post a couple of times.

what was the question? sorry.

6. just should i have women doing this kind of work for me?
  7. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Did it occur to you that maybe Rosa has childcare that ends at a certain time in the evening? I've had to hurry to pick-up children from daycare before closing time many days. If she wants to keep her daycare provider, she has to respect the quitting time. So, if you want to keep her, respect that she is being a responsible parent. A good worker is worth a small inconvenience occasionally. We have several women on the mowing crews and it seems to work fine.
  8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

You were urked at 7:00 pm because they wanted to get home to their kid? When you get kids you'll understand, even if it's one day every month. A woman has many responsibilities, the main one is to be a Mom if she is a Mom.

9. actually it was at 7:30 that we finished. and we got back here at 8:00 i think? i wound up workin until 9 though. at this rate however with my social life situation i will be gettin married / having kids around maybe 50 or 60 lol
  10. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

lawnboy i'm in the same boat as you. working about 70 + hours a week right now doesn't look like slowing down.

about women in our work force i say let them if they can handle their own. but the women around here that i have seen have not been able to do so, one company i did see with 2 women and a guy cutting across the street from me only lasted 2 cuttings. the weren't very good. the lawns looked horrible when they left, home owners had to recut them and bag all the lumps.