Women Laborers'

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PerfiCut L&L, Jun 16, 2006.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering how many others actually have women laborers. I posted some job opening flyers last week, and surprisingly had a dozen or so call. 2 of which were from women. Come to think of it, I can remember the last time I saw a women running a trimmer, or slinging some mulch.

Just curious.

2. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

Mabey to ride a ZTR or to spray round.

3. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Find the right one and you will never regret it, look for one that has a genuine love of the industry ... look out for certificates in horticulture ,land scaping etc make shore she is a strong type.....for ones not suitable check out MMLAWN "should i fire her" thread lol

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We have gone through about 8 people just to trim and fired them all. Ended up taking my wife to trim and she did a #1 job. A little slow but I Didn't have to go over what she did. YES!!! I do beleive that woman are much better at trimming!!! Not sure about mowing though:confused:

5. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

We have a female LCO in our area, and she works solo. When she first started, I used to laugh at her mowing patterns(or lack of), but now her yards look as good as anybodys. And I have to give Her credit for gittin the job done. She's out workin rain or shine, when some of the guys are sitting at home waiting for more comfortable weather. I've never talked to her, but we do wave at each other in passing, I would hire someone like that in a heartbeat, if I was hiring.

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

an older female friend of mine from college has a good landscape biz back in iowa. as for a woman getting dirt under her nails in this state.... cant remember the last time i seen that.

7. thill

thill LawnSite Member

We have three gals that do everything the guys do (less lifting something really heavy).

One is the owner (my wife)
    One has worked her way up to crew leader - pulls a trailer and all. (we have 4 crews)
    One is back for her 2nd summer (was in high school and will start college this fall). She would probably make a great crew leader too if she was year around.

They are great.

Have also hired 4 others who wanted to try it and none lasted more than a week. (about the same as guys).

Tom

8. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

A buddy of mine who farms about 2000 acres has a woman who runs his semi for him when hauling grain and whenever they are working the fields after harvest or in teh spring she's there whenever he says there gonna start and she'll quit when the guy says it's quittin time (or if she has an appointment to go to). She use to drive OTR with her husband and her and her husband use to farm, he's currently in Iraq and she works for teh fun of it more than anything else. But I'd hire her in a heartbeat to run equipment.

My mother in law.... if I were running a landscape business I'd beg her to work for me and manage all trimming/planting/growing/fertilizing operations and I'd just do the work. She's one of those who loves gardening and hard work is nothing new to her, like I said if I were a landscaper I'd beg her to come to work for me.

My grandma (15-20 years ago). Easisest way to say it is: if that sidewalk edge has one blade of grass sticking out of place then it ain't done right! If weeds are growing where they aren't suppose to be then it ain't done right and looks horrible. The woman never sprayed a drop of round-up in her life, probably never used any store bought fertilizer (though she spread a truckload of horse poo very thin on her yard every other year by hand).

My wife... she lets me know if it ain't done right. She'd be a good quality control expert if I was in a landscaping business!

9. dtrap420

dtrap420 LawnSite Member

My girlfriend has been working with me for 2 years now and is by far the best employee I have every had. I never have to check her work and she will do just about anything the guys will do and just as good and most of the time better. She will run my 61" tiger but prefers the 48" cub. Her stripes are getting almost as good as mine and with the walkbehind she is probably better than me. She will trim with the best of them. She also helps with the ocassional mulch or brush job as well. The two of us run as a crew by ourselves and do 25-30 yards a day and she almost never complains. I wish I had three more of her to be the other crew then I would be set.

10. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

they are best ,thats been my experience anyway .i have posted a few times on this subject and my opinion hasnt changed.firstly they are easier to train simply because you dont have to deal with ego