Women landscapers?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jimmdenver, Oct 26, 2005.

1. jimmdenver

jimmdenver LawnSite Member

I'm not sure if any of you fellas have run into this but the other day while going from job to job I saw a sight for sore eyes. An incredibly attractive young woman riding a scag w/collection system. I did a double take! I'm not sexist and I beleive women can do just as good a job, but let's face it, you just don't see women on Scags!

Well I asked my good buddy John and he said he's been seeing alot more women lately on the job. Has anyone else noticed this? I think its interesting...

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Jim, I see that you are new, and I hope you are ready for some,uhh, interesting answers.:D We actually have quite a few female lco,s here and they do great work. Our estemed moderator is a female on LS and we also have quite a few female members. Sheshovel, where are you when you are needed:D

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I don't ride a scag but I am a Landscaper not a lawn care person any longer.What I am saying is there is a big difference.Yes there are quite a few women in the industry now.Have not seen any around here though.Cuz not many lawns in my area.

4. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

I would love to see more women crews out here. Then I would have to look at all you guys ugly mugs. LOL

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I have had great luck with the women that I have hired, One now has her own co. The woman is in her late 40's early 50 and outworks most of the guys and a good eye too, you can't teach that. There is a local co her called "A Womens Touch" pink trucks and trailers. Thing is I have never seen a woman on the crew and they look dirty and crappy like most. Have never seen anyone from the co in assoc. meetings or classes either.

6. adam71234

adam71234 LawnSite Member

I have 4 part timers, two young women and two men. The ladies tend to be more detailed and more thorough. We let the ladies do the mowing, and the guys work the handhelds. It seems to be a good combo for us.

7. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

My first job in the green industry was w/a woman who owned and operated a lawn maintenance/landscape design co.. She could/would work side by side us 18 yr old guys (this was a few years back!) without missing a beat; she was tough as nails too....

...Anyhow I have hired a couple of females over the years and unfortunately it just hasnt worked out for various reasons. On the flip-side, Ive hired more than a few guys who have been completely worthless as well. Go figure, eh?

James

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

and i like girls....:blush:

i know thee are some really good landscapers here that are ladies....

9. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

here in Tampa you see it all the time.women woking with there husbands,with the bigger companies,even for there self

10. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

We have 4 younger girls working for us. One is our landscape designer and the others work on lawn crews or landscape crews when needed. They work as hard as the guys and aren't hard one the eyes either. Here are 2 of the lawn crew girls at 7AM... really not their best time of the day... I actually think they came to work straight from a party or something.. at least they show up. Plus they both have second jobs at night... go girls