women leaves fortune to lawn guy

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by daveyo, Dec 1, 2005.

1. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

My moms best friends husband cuts about 8 lawns for exercise and just to help out, however he did charge. He has been doing this for years, he doesn't have to, he is just a really nice guy, I have known him my whole life. Well, one of his customers passes away and leaves him everything, the house, car, savings account, everything. Apparently, she had no family and really took a liking to him. He didn't say but I'm guessing well over 200,000 clear. You see, it really pays to be a nice guy!!

2. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I will bet you a dollar to a donut hole that it WAS NOT Mr. Booby GEDDDDDDD!

3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

How sad that she lived all those years and the best she can come up with to give her money is the lawn guy. I would think she had some niece's, etc. to give the money. Something doesn't sound right with this story. She might be off in the head. I would think some relative would contest the will.

4. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

If I didn't read that he was married I might think he was servicing more than just the lawn.

Good for him and his family!

5. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

I will bet you a dollar to a donut hole that it WAS NOT Mr. Booby GEDDDDDDD!

lol, no surprisingly it wasn't Mr. Gedd, and no she was totally sane. She was old though. Also, it wasn't just some lawn guy, he is a very good friend of the family and makes plenty of money otherwise. He is one of those guys who always has a smile and has nothing but nice things to say about others. Even if she did have nieces and nephews maybe they didn't give two hoots about her. Its her money she can do what she pleases, don't be so skeptical, maybe next time it'll be you. Amazing what a smile and just being nice will do even if it's just a smile back.

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I have had several elderly lawn customers who I became friends with. With one lady, it was obviosly the highlight of her day when we showed up to cut the lawn. She would be waiting with iced tea and some baked goody, or coffee/tea/cocoa in the fall. As sad as it may sound, there are lots of lonely people out there like my little old lady customer. Not to bum everybody out, but she died alone one winter, and it took the paperboy to notice the pile of papers by her front door. I went to the funeral and all I saw was her kids, who hadn't seen her in years, fighting over all of the antiques in the house. If you have a customer who likes to talk, take 10 minutes and chat with them. On a strictly selfish business note, you can get extra work this way too. Kudos to to the lawn guy who inherited the money. He probably made a lonely old woman happy.

7. UNISCAPER

Upid;

My wife is a realtor who specializes in senior and probate sales. I've seen all too many times when the parents had money, the kids lived on the other side of the planet, my wife makes all the arrangements, and after all the fighting is over, there is usually a pile in the house, so, I end up sending a clean up crew over to load up and run the stuff to the dump. That is a pretty sad story you tell, but unfortunately, not all that uncommon.

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Who says you can't be married and still service little old ladies??? :p

9. UNISCAPER

Who says you can't be married and still service little old ladies???

Well, if you want to remain married, as I do very much, you better keep the tools behind the zipper!

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this story is kind of like, "smoking isn't bad for you. my grandfather started smoking non filters butts when he was 4 yrs old. he lived to be 97."