women on crews?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mjohnson1, Jul 2, 2006.

1. mjohnson1

mjohnson1 LawnSite Member

not a sexist thing but im wondering if any of you guys have women on your crews. reason i ask is because i have seen all the lco's in this area out working and not once have i ever seen a woman on a crew. i figure its because women don't apply for the jobs.
  2. just4me

just4me LawnSite Member
    from NH

well being a women myself I have to say I don't know about Texas but here in cow New Hampshire there is alot of women in landscaping. personally I myself as one of them being in this field for approx. 10 yrs. I just started my own business and have been doing pretty good considering just started. I would say yes either women do not apply for those jobs, maybe they feel they are not equal oppurtunity. All the landscape co. here place ads in papers staying as they are an equal oppurtunity employer so they get women applying.:hammerhead:
  3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

there is a large landscape company owned by a woman, and i have seen many female workers that run circles around their male co-workers.
  4. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Woman on the lawn crew, and woman on the sealcoating crew.
  5. mjohnson1

mjohnson1 LawnSite Member

hmm cool well i really hope no one took my question the wrong way its just something i have noticed and was curious about
  6. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

It's manual labour, no suprise its mostly men, even some of them can't handle it and ofcourse there will be exceptions. Next thing you know men will start being nurses.
  7. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

.................and dont tell me ,i suppose the world is round..............freddy you are a crackpot.......crazy i tells ya:dancing: :dancing:
  8. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Its funny i see women landscaping and gardening with they own businesses, but i have never seen a woman running an LCO, its very strange lawn mowing is a lot easier. :confused: :confused: :confused:
  9. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

The largest privately owned LCO here in Austin Texas is operated by two women - and they run it very, very well.
    Their gross revenues are in the $3M range, multiple crews/trucks - a good operation.
  10. Bgaz

Bgaz LawnSite Member

I am female, 47 years old, and have run my lawn care business since 1989. I run a mowing route 4 days a week, and do fert/squirt the other 2.

Would hire all females if I could get them to apply. ATM have 3 women (4 counting me) and 3 guys. Attention to detail, better outlook towards the everyday work grind, and being prepared to work every time they clock in are what have so far set them apart from the guys.:weightlifter: