won used Echo PB651

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SSS 18734, Mar 26, 2007.

1. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone. I was outbid on this item a few days back. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330098553059&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:2

But the winner of the item failed to follow through with the purchase, so I am now the winner by default with a bid for $160. Shipping is $25. So $185 for a used Echo PB651. Should I buy it? The seller has about 99% positive feedback on over 6,000 similar items, and a few members of this forum seem to have had a good experience with the seller. And if it does turn out to be a lemon down the road, could I make most of my money back by selling it, considering these things cost about $500 new?

EDIT
    I won't be using it for heavy commercial use. I will only be doing 15 lawns this season.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I would buy it .....but I know how to repair the units.

3. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm always suspicious of these 2nd chance offers after the 1st buyer "backs out". It's a common way to bid up an item. The seller has a friend (or just another account) and bids the item up against a real buyer. If by chance the "friend" wins the item, they later decide not to purchase. Then, as long as the 2nd highest bidder was still at an acceptable sale amount, the sell will then offer the item to that person.

I guess what I'm saying, is be very cautious. With such good feedback, the seller is probably fine.

4. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe what you are saying happens alot...but Ive seen that guy sell alot of stuff on ebay...I think it's a shop...so I would go ahead and do the deal.

5. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

I agree 100% That is one of oldest ebay tricks in the world. However, it seems like a pretty good deal. I have an Echo PB-620 that I got on ebay last year. I think I paid around $300 for it and it was almost brand new! I say go for it!!!!

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have an Echo 603 and really like it. Only blower I bet you can find that will start in ONE PULL even after it's been sitting in the cold for a couple weeks! Always reliable, gotta love those Echos from a few years ago... The new ones made now are total crap though...

7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I disagree my 1 year old will start in 2 pulls from a cold start and 1 all day after that.

8. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a echo trimmer from him and it worked fine.

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I think even Ebay says to watch out for 2nd chance offers because of fraud.

In this case you're paying maybe 40% of the cost of a new unit. My pb 650 ran like a top till the day it stopped suddenly at around 5 years old. So you could be buying a creampuff or a blower about to die. You'll need to know how to make the repair yourself to make it pay. I decided to just use mine for spare parts for my other blowers rather than dump another $100 into it.

10. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Reputation is definately key here. It appears, according to others comments here as well as good feedback ratings on ebay, it's probably legit. It's just good to be cautious.