Wonder How Many The Heat Got So Far

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Aug 12, 2006.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Seeing a couple threads from a some guys getting out of the business (due to health reasons they said) made me wonder. Each year and every year we see a ton of newbies in the business, many of them Saturday warriors, along with the ever present "beer guys", those just trying to get extra beer money. Both think "hey this will be some easy money on the side". These groups are also though the first to quit when the going gets tough. SO with the extremely high heat (and humity here) that many parts of the US has suffered in the past 3 weeks.....I wonder how many of them parked their cars and unloaded the push mower from the trunk?

2. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

this is the time of year to get some good deals on lightly used equipment....

3. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Mike
    Your thinking is all wrong!! They are now thirstier than ever. So they have to work even harder, which in turn makes them drink even more. Therefore, drinking more cost money causing them to work even more. J/K

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I know what you mean Mike. Sure don't see as many vans and cars with mowers in them.:cool2: YES you can get some good deals on used equip when the heat pours on. PM me if anyone is interested in a Turfco 20 Dethatcher. Used about 2 times and going to let it go cheap.:walking: Only reason being it's sat around this year and no call for it here.

5. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i know what you mean man . but it happens every year .

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The drought ran most of them belly up before the heat really set in.

All except the ones with real jobs.

7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Ha! ha! easy money LMAO :laugh: :laugh: I could retire now if I had a buck for all the people that look at this like " its just riding around on a mower all day, big deal. "

People seem to equate this with riding around in a damn golf cart all day. I do admit though, I get a twisted kick out of seeing the shell shocked look on some of these folks faces when the chips are down and its....gulp!...like for real man.

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I have only noticed a couple of sell outs in the paper so far. I think most are sticking it out because unemployment here is so high. I have had no calls to replace anybody. There is not much else to do except move.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Certainly not enough in my book Mike.

10. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive seen em drop left and right! Seeing less and less cars with pushmowers in them. Ive gotten a ton of calls from people saying "My lawn guy wigged out" or "I haven't seen my lawn guy in 4 weeks" lol But the real shock for these customers is when I don't give em the $15 dollar special.