*wonders just how much your customers..*

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jaytee, Sep 26, 2003.

1. jaytee

jaytee LawnSite Member

browse this site.. you have one person bragging about how much his markup is and another one bragging about how he curses out his customers...you people must be rich off of lawn care..maybe I need to stop being a satellite controller and switch careers as a lawn care professional. Hmmmmm..

2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe you should. I make 3 to 4 times doing lawn care than what I did as a lab assistant in a cancer research lab at the University of Michigan.

:D

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Takes all kinds to make this big ole orb go round!

4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

jaytee, There really isn't that much mark up in this industry. If you're a solo operator, like myself, and charge a fair price (determined by the area and market you're in) you'll be averaging approx. $20/hr after taking care of all the overhead expenses. There's quite a few lco's that do better than that, but they have usually been in business a long time and have built a large (somewhat selective) clientele. As far as cursing out customers........I can only speak for myself. I don't. In his defense; how much time have you spent in New Jersey? I used to spend a lot of time in Glenrock (Paramus Park area), and the people there are a whole different breed. I refuse to expound any further than that.

5. Lawnalternatives

Lawnalternatives LawnSite Member

Not only is this a site for gathering information and getting a helping hand, a lot of people love to VENT also. I apologize for my venting as of late. I usually tend to be cool about things.
    However...
    If a customer tells me that he will not pay me money owed, he will get a cussing like no other. Then he will pay the money owed and find someone else to service his lawn. Life is too short to mess with those types of people.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

jay, there is much more than a paycheck as your reward in this business. its not always about the money. you know the deal: make your own hours, build your business to where YOU want it to be, and so on, and so on. and yes, one of the "fringe benefits", is being able to tell a pain in the butt customer to kiss my hiney. but the money is quite nice also, and its all mine. i didnt make some business owner 5 million , and get paid $70, 000 to do it.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Some LCO's have dirty practices and schemes while other may just simply do a small markup on materials so he doesn't have to deal with the headache of justifiying the labor cost that a job is really worth and the customer does not understand/want to pay.

I.E. Beneficial Math ;)
    Those with dirty pratices will eventually be found out.

And Rich? Well that depends on what you consider rich.
    See below...

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Hi Jaytee,
    Being that you are a "homeowner" doesn't really matter here, this is like any other gathering of people that use a text based means of communicating. There are 12,000 opinions here as well as the personalities to match. Many people are legit but some are here to stir trouble.
    This is a place that you have to be as sharp as if you were in a big crowded room looking to talk to the most knowledgable people. It takes a while to find them in the crowd. You have only been here a short time and have formed an impression of lawn care people. Rich at the job, yes some have but they aren't easy to find. One thing is for sure, there are lots of hard workers here. Not all the smartest in business or the richest in pay but many good people. So take in all you can but try and get to know some of the people here. You came to the site for a reason, there are those here who can help. Take care.

9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

As is the case in life outside this web site, there are people who just need attention. Like the little kid who acts up to get noticed. You'll figure out who they are and will learn to take their comments with a grain of salt.

If one truly does high quality work, has sound knowledge and hands on experience with landscape and lawn issues and practices, and understands how to run a business, a very nice income can be had. Personally, the 2 most important perks for me, is that your income can be as high as you want it to be, and you are not subject to downsizings, re-orgs, and the overall stresses that come with being employed today in corporate America.

My father-in- law is a self made very succesful businessman and he told me that after the buisness is up and running and growing, that the personal satisfaction of having your own business , is significant....and he's dead right. Yep the hours are long and you dont have much of a personal life for 9 to 10 months of the year....but the rewards can be well worth the sacrifices that are required in order to successful

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

good post MowEd