Won't be using that line again......

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by General Landscaping, Jul 8, 2006.

1. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Talking to a new potential customer about some clean up, hedges, and mulch.
    When the part about what kind of mulch came up, I told her I'd be using natural cypress mulch........ She told me that she wants red mulch.
    I must have made some kind of facial expression that tipped her off that I was not pleased with her selection. She inquired "why not red"; it seemed from the tone of voice that she was genuinely wanting to know if there was something wrong with red mulch.
    I told her, red mulch looks fine.... in front of McDonald's.
    That must have tripped her b!+ch switch.....game over, no sale.

I must have found a high ranking official in the "red mulch Nazi" movement:hammerhead:

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Every mulch job I have done here the client has requested red mulch and its very popular. With all due respect if thats what she wants to pay for then I feel you should have done it. Now any unreasonable request I would agree with. Just my .02 for what its worth.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

red is finally almost fizzled out around here. In all my years I have never laid any of it. Every once in a while someone will ask for it and I will tell them there are better alternatives.

4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Whats wrong with red mulch??? Seriously...

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

it looks tacky?

6. QualityLawnCare4u

Tacky lies in the eye of the beholder. I have done many things that I did not think looked good but the cleint thought it looked great. As long as the client is happy and pays thats what matters.

7. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'll mulch the beds with severed chicken feet if they're willing to pay for itpayup
    She just responded "poorly" to my guidance.

Red mulch=Tacky........ unless there's a drive-thru involved.

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Dump the red mulch on her concrete drive, and charge her for "concrete staining" when your all done too :)

9. QualityLawnCare4u

Exactly! Ill mulch it with shredded toilet paper if thats what they want and pay for it. May not like it but as long as the client is happy and fattens my wallet I can live with tacky.

10. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Is this red mulch chemically treated? That might sway the customers choice.