1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Won't pay

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C & S, Jul 10, 2002.

1. C & S

C & S LawnSite Member

This guy dropped me 3 weeks ago to go with someone else. Said I was doing a great job but wanted someone to do everything under the sun at his house so bye bye. Now I can't get him to pay the last bill. Any suggestions. I would rather not have to go to court.:mad: :mad: :mad:
  2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's not alot of money you might want to consider writing it off at the end of the year. Talk with your tax advisor.
    Of course try scaring him first.

I personally wouldn't hassle with court if it's under $500.00
  4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

.I think some of these people are professional theives. They know that they can steal from people little bits at a time cus it is not worth going to court, they put you off til a lien is out of the question, and it is not enough that they figure you will talk to your good friend Bobo to ruff them up :D.

I feel for ya for sure. Have you talked to him and he has actually said he will not pay, or is he ignoring you? You could knock on his door real early in the morning, or in the evening being such a nusiance thay he may pay you.

You could take a deposit on new customer in the future, say a month in advance to protect yourself from this kind of thing, but you run the risk of not getting the customer because no one else in your area may take a deposit.

Hope you get paid

5. C & S

C & S LawnSite Member

No, it's under $500. It's just the princeable of it. i thought I was dealing with adults. Live and learn I guess!!!
  6. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont think there is much of a lesson to be learned. Just some loser who doesn't like to pay his bills. I don't think people in our industry will go for advance payment, or 50% now, 50% when the job is done.
    You just have to do the best you can and move on. I think this type of behavior will be the exception and not the rule.

Good Luck, I understand your frustration.

7. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

let the guy know that took over for you what has happend to you and may be he'll get the idea that this guy sucks, and drop him as well.

the guy could be extreamly lazy too. you never know.
  8. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

ive got a shed full of ROUNDUP and a bad attitude hehe you get the idea :blush:
  9. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell him you will have a summons delivered to his OFFICE!

Email him if he has email...

Call him at work....

Knock on the door....

It's all perfectly legal. Just make sure he understands that his least painful option is to pay you.

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

This is a very bad idea for a multitude of reasons. The first of which is it makes you the primary suspect. "Gee, who would have applied round-up to my lawn?" If you are going to do something vengeful and destructive (which I DO NOT recommend) then at least don't be so stupid as to do something to the landscape, which makes you the primary suspect. Sheesh!

As to what you should do; I have the perfect solution. This works for us 95% of the time. Send them a lien letter similar to the one I've attached below.

Lien laws vary from county to county and state to state. And whether or not you can really take out a lien on their house in this case is totally irrelevant. The thing is most people, when they read this, ASSUME that you will be able to put a lien on their home. And that's the last thing any homeowner wants.

Trust me. You'll have a check in your hands within days.

Attached Files: