1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

won't recoil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TracyK, Mar 29, 2006.

1. TracyK

TracyK LawnSite Member

I have an inexpensive 20" Briggs and Stratton 3.5hp. I have no problem pulling the cord but it won't retract. Here's the tricky part: it is not the recoil assembly. When I remove the recoil assembly, it retracts just fine. Would appreciate ANY help with this.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Post the model and type numbers off the engine, They should be stamped in the top cover above the spark plug. Once I see which recoil Assembly you have I'm pretty sure I can come up with a answer.
  3. shop22

shop22 LawnSite Member

Check your clutch that is attached to the crankshaft. It should have a square head. It will set up on the crank and not turn freely, not allowing the rope to recoil. They are inexpensive to replace 6-8 dollars, but most can be fixed with a good cleaning.
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

There is a bearing on top of the crankshaft. You need to oil this up very well, maybe even use penetrating lube on it. This should solve the problem. When you had it running last did you notice a screetching sound?
  5. Restrorob

You know guys, There are a couple style recoil assemblies that could be on this engine and not all have a starter clutch......
  6. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

when you remove the recoil, is there a square drive on top of the flywheel? that would be the common old style clutch. take it apart CAREFULLY, it can be done on the engine, do NOT lose any of the balls. clean the end of the crank with some 400 grit emery cloth so its shiny clean. make sure the square drive part now spins freely on the crank, clean the balls with some carb cleaner and dry them. my opinion is to NOT lube this clutch, as i feel it attracts dirt, but do what Restrorob tells you...he's the expert here. set the square drive back on the crank, drop the balls back in, and reinstall the tin cover and screen. spin the square drive, it should spin freely, you'll hear the balls rattling. this is easier (i think) with the clutch off, but without the proper clutch tool i dont suggest trying to remove it.
  7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have recoil problems at the moment, but on push mowers a lot of recoil covers are riveted to the fan housing sheet metal.

I got over two years on a couple of push mowers used as trim mowers, and know it is coming sooner rather than later.

What kind of riveting tool and rivets should I have on hand when the day arrives?
  8. Restrorob

None, Remove the whole cover assembly, Removing just the top assembly from the cover when re-installed could be miss aligned and cause the same problem the above thread starter Tracy has. Thats why I wanted to see numbers, Also if Tracy has the old style clutch when cleaned as oldrustycars said ALWAYS put a light film of 10w30 oil on the crankshaft and a couple drops inside the square part not penetrating oil as maniac said before re-installing.
  9. TracyK

TracyK LawnSite Member

I'm not sure if the last message posted so let me give the model # again: 95902 There are also #s under Type and Code: 3105 01 97031351
  10. TracyK

TracyK LawnSite Member

Could you tell me about the clutch tool? There is a square drive on top.