Won't start Briggs and Stratton

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hess, Mar 7, 2007.

1. hess

hess LawnSite Member

Has any Body had this problem. witha 6.5 horse briggs. It will start 1st pull when cold, run it for 30 min ( when its hot) when you shut it down and try to restart it it won't start at all. when it sits and cools down then it will start right up.Its been in the shop 6 x know they checked the valves, changed the carburator, went through it they even called a briggs rep in to look at the problem and that what he said it was and fixed it for free. Know today when i used it the same thing happened. something is getting hot and won't let it start? its at the shop know but i can't check any thing but wanted to know. what about the lemon law?:dizzy: *trucewhiteflag*

2. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

could be thr resiter or what ever if it even has one dont know to much about them just a thought though

3. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Replace the coil.

4. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

2nd the coil idea, I had something similer with a riding tractor

5. bluedakotasky

bluedakotasky LawnSite Member

I've got the same problem with a Briggs 124T02-3853-B1. My customer brought it in saying that he mows for 30 minutes, goes and empties the bag, comes back and it won't start. He lets it sit for 5 to 10 minutes and it will start right up.
    I checked the kill switch to make sure it completely disengages, checked the kill switch wire from the coil to the kill switch. Just for troubleshooting, I changed the ignition coil and the carburetor. I could not get the problem to repeat at the shop. Sent it home with the customer, first time he mowed, it did the same thing. I just picked it back up tonight. Does anybody know for sure, what is causing this on these Briggs 6.5 Quantum engines?