Won't Start

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CSRA Landscaping, Apr 16, 2001.

1. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a Scag Tiger Cub in December. Now, I have to hook up a battery charger to the stupid thing a lot, just to get it to start! Anyone ever had problems like this? Thanks in advance.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It is under warranty, take it back!

3. CSRA Landscaping

Yeah, it is under warranty, that's why it's also having some work done at a shop here in town for one of the valves. Seems that one of them has issues ....

4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you or the shop disconnect the seat safety cutoff switch? When I did this it slowly drained the battery until I wired it correctly. Just a thought.

5. CSRA Landscaping

No, that's still wired in. My guess is that the mower sat there so long the battery is no longer any good.

6. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

Take a voltmeter and measure the voltage with the engine running. It should be about 13.5-14.2 volts. This will tell you weather or not the charging circut is ok. Next measure the battery voltage while you crank the engine { pull the plug wires first} it should stay around 10.5 volts while you turn the engine over. Sounds like your battery may be the culprit.......good luck.... Mark

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Got me could be anything, but is it a kohler engine? i just bought a great dane, a great mower, but its been in for valve work twice. Still under warranty, but the long term outlook is bleak as far as im concerned.

8. CSRA Landscaping

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

wow i had great luck with kawasaki, ran one out of oil once, and it made an awful sound starting after that, but ran great for 2 more years till i sold it.

10. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

On a lot of small Kaws like yours, the starter is the same as late 80's early 90's Toyota car starter. So if you need a new starter later when the warranty is up, you could look for one at your local foriegn car junk yard. That is what a friend of mine did that had your same motor. By the way I just purchased a Tiger cub too. I hope I have better luck with it though. I really like how it performs and the handling is excellent.;)