won't start

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 1MajorTom, Feb 16, 2006.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

85 dodge used as a backup, the problem is i have no ignition power, no headlights, nothing. battery IS good. terminals are super clean. what's the next thing I need to look for?
  2. tteckster

tteckster LawnSite Member

I would check the other end of the ground cable coming from the battery.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure about a Dodge, but some of the 80's model chevys would do that and it would be a bad wire on the starter solenoid, One of the wires were the main power for alot of the systems, Also like stated above check the ground, 90% of all electrical problems are faulty grounds

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

check all grounds and connections at the battery and the starter. check for voltage at the starter that is the junction for all your electric components.
  5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

are the terminals tight?Still sounds like your batt may be good but needs charging try jumping it.
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Check your cab ground.
  7. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

I just had the exact same thing happen with my 86 f250 backup plow truck. The guy was plowing fine with it and he started his next run and it just quit completely died. I found the problem to be a loose ground cable if it was bumped just right it stopped making contact and everything died. It tightened it up and everything is running fine so far. But it hasn't plowed since then.

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

How much air pressure is in the right front tire? LOL

check and clean your grounds just like everyone else has said..
  9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

fuseable link?
  10. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

Always check your Grounds, Fuses, and Breakers first. :drinkup: