1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Wood Bed, Is it rare?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Bungy, May 7, 2001.

1. Bungy

Bungy LawnSite Member
    from MN

I have a 78 K20 longbed and the box floor is wood. How rare is this? I have never seen another and started wondering when two guys at a swap meet noticed it and said they had never seen one either.

2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

I believe that a wood bed floor IS pretty rare (Only one I can recall seeing was on a '73 crewcab farm truck) on a '73/'87 Chevy truck.

Although I don't consider myself to be an "expert" on Chevy trucks, I don't think that many of them were built with wood floors - especially by '78.

What sort of shape is yours in? Stepside or fleetside? Wood bed kits are available if you need to repair/restore yours - I picked up a catalogue from a parts dealer here in Canada and saw them listed there.

3. Bungy

Bungy LawnSite Member
    from MN

Mine is a fleetside. The wood is in pretty good shape but one plank is broken. The only wood kits I have seen are for stepside. What company or catalog are you refering to?

4. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Bungy - the company whose catalogue I picked up is called Antique Chevrolet Parts, they are located in Toronto Canada.

They show in their listing 2 choices of bed wood kits for '73/'80 Fleetside (longbox): Yellow pine or Oak. (Oak, of course, being more $$$)

Speaking of $$$, the way ours is right now :( you could probably buy your wood kit there, pay for shipping, and still come out ahead.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Bungy,

I may be wrong, but the only 73-87 wood beds were on stepsides. Someone must have just bolted some boards on over the original rusted metal bed.

Unless there was an option that I don't know about. Do you have a RPO # for it?

6. Bungy

Bungy LawnSite Member
    from MN

I'll have to check for the RPO. It should be on the glove box door, right? The wood bed looks 100% factory to me. There is no metal under it. Bungy

7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Dixie, you are wrong. It was an option, and my 77 K/20 fleetside had it. I wish it still did, but I too couldn't find a wood kit, but more so than the wood, it was the edges of the bed floor, made of steel, that I couldn't find. The "strips" that hold the wood in, are the same as step side beds. The reason (I was told) GM offered a wood bed floor on a fleetside, was to target farmers and ranchers. Livestock, has a hard time standing on a steel bed floor, but you could put livestock on a wood bed floor, and move it from pasture to pasture, or anywhere else for that matter. YOu can fit more livestock in a fleetside, than a step side.

The GM Factory RPO for the floor, is E81, Wood Floor Pickup Box.

I have a list of RPO codes on my website, if anyone needs some.

~Chuck
    www.chuckschevytruckpages.com