wood chipper work

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by terrapro, Oct 26, 2007.

1. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a customer that has an enormous pile of sticks, branches, limbs, and debris who wants it sorted through and 90% of it chipped and hauled away. there is a little chainsaw work maybe 1-2hrs. this pile is probably the size of a 2 car garage, 30x20x15tall. looking around 18-20 labor hours, i dont do this that much so it might take me alittle longer than the average arborists.

he called me back this morning after i left him a message telling him i had an estimate put together for him. i told him the price was $1800, he of course bulked at the price.

this is the break down of the final estimate-

chipper rental- 2 days @ $300 per day=$600
    labor- 20hrs @ $50 per hr=$1000
    debris removal/haul- $200

anyone want to give me a price check. was i out of line? honestly when i first saw the pile i was thinking $2200
  2. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I think your numbers found fair. I've never rented a chipper so I don't know the price but everything sounds good. Dont feel bad, I think most people around here would balk at 1800 to remove some sticks. They just dont understand everything that would go into the job. Let him look around and I'm sure he'll find cheaper and more expensive guys.
  3. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitly fair. I don't really know where someone else will beat you unless they own a chipper....
  4. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

thats a good price, im trying to find a very large chipper i can rent like 18'' plus
  5. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

this chipper is a 16 inch which is why there is some saw time. he hasnt called back yet, there is lots of starving for work people here in MI so i dont expect a call back.

i was really hoping for some december work from this guy, ill keep my fingers crossed
  6. Mowing Mike

Mowing Mike LawnSite Member

I think your price is high. Unless he cleared over and acer and put the brush in a pile than it shouldn't take long to chip. It will be a little but of a pain to separate so you can chip but, once you get a system you'll be rolling on. The price should be more like 600 to 700. It all depends on what experience you have with this kind of work.

7. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

I think your hours might be a little light. In my expeirience, a big chipper doesnt handle smaller limbs very well, especialy if they are green. They tend to clog the chute.
  8. Mowing Mike

Mowing Mike LawnSite Member

never had a clog in chute. That would be from dull blades witch are very hard on equipment to start with. Pile the little stuff on big stuff and watch out.

9. boatdude

boatdude LawnSite Member

You might want to consider burning it if possible.
  10. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

$125/hr 3mancrew is low end. $200/hr 3man crew ,big city metro prices .find a a place to dump for free.find out the rental center charge for new chipper blades if you run metal through em.usually 200bucks .Cut firewood into manable lenghts and find home for it or put cardboard sign next to it that says free firewood.Or geta bit bid from a tree service with no clean up ,and tack on a fee for cleaning up the bark and small sticks .Tree guys like no clean up jobs.