1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

wood chippers

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Hayf, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Hayf

Hayf LawnSite Member

Hey guys! I am looking at a used chipper. Its a bandit 65 6". Has 1200 hours on it. been maintained well. Has a wisconsin 30 hp on it. Seller wants 6500. Sounds high to me, but wanted to know your thoughts. Also looking at older asplundh chuck and duck. Ran them in the past. good chippers if you are careful. Any input greatly appreciated:dizzy:

2. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

That's not much of a chipper. Depending on what you do, bigger is better when chipping (less trimming).
    I don't know much about chuck and ducks but I like the safety of feed wheels and a reverse bar. I owned a 9" with 50 hp diesel and operated the same model with a gas. Big difference. Go with diesel if you can.

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Yellow dog. Is right that's no much of Chipper. 30 hp is a small stump grinder:waving::waving::waving:

4. fire126

fire126 LawnSite Member

Thats not a bad price if it was maintain well. On a small chipper you will see gas engines. The Wisconsin is well built. The duck and chuck is not the way to go. Good luck.

5. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

The first time I rented a chipper, I rented a 6" vermeer. It did ok but it took a lot of trimming to get limbs to feed and it would jamb easily. After that I got a 12" diesel. There is really no comparison between to two. The 12" breezes through what the 6" struggled with and you dont have to do much trimming. I you can get it to the chipper, it will chip it. It saves so much time, I dont bother with the 6" any more.

I would look for something bigger with a diesel.

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

For you guys that own your own chippers, do you sharpen your blades or throw the dull ones out and replace with new? Thanks.........

7. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't even consider a chipper unless it had 12" capacity or bigger, and was diesel.....i owned a chipper for a little over a year, and it was diesel and had a 12" capacity it was older but still served me great for the money i paid, i ended up selling about a month ago because i haven't used it since the summer and don't really do tree work, but with all the damage we got from hurricane irene in 2011 i busted my ass for about 4 weeks loading a dump truck by hand and bought a chipper and saved lots of time, and made a ton of money with it doing storm clean ups for almost a year.