Wood Fence Post

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jnjnlc, May 15, 2001.

1. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I was wondering how you guys handle trimming around wood fence and deck post without tearing them up.

I have a couple of customers with split rail fences and the post are being chewed up by the trimmer. I have tried to back off from the post but it is hard to get all of the grass around them when there is a wire fence attached. I have one customer that has let me spray round-up around the post.

Any suggestions?
  2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

keep chewing them up..or ask the other customers if they mind if you spray around them..Or goto your local Home Depot and see if they have a gaurd of somekind you can put aropund the posts..At the customers expence of course..
  3. crs

crs LawnSite Member

Try using a short piece of drain pipe. Split it to go around the post and then push it down to the ground. It may take a couple of trials to get the height right so that it does not readily show. I have done this at several properties and have not had any complaints.
  4. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Try using a PGR around those posts instead of Round-up...better to regulate the growth than kill the grass.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It sems to me that being careful is the BEST remedy to this. There is no reason to tear up fencepost OR mailbox posts. It's totally avoidable. If you are REALLY that inexperienced, or just not that good on the trimmer to be able to do this quickly without all the contact, then I would suggest small strips of tin to wrap around the posts. If need be, you can always spray them with a coat of paint that is a SIMILAR shade as the posts. No one will even notice.
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not bragging, but I could probably give a G.I. his haircut with my weedwacker. It takes years of practice, but just be careful.