Wood mulch/ insect resistant

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tacoma200, Jul 22, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well I admit I don't know anything about mulch. I am going to put some mulch under playground equipment at a daycare. They are concerned with insects (termites) if I use a wood mulch. It is about 30 ft from the daycare. So my question is which wood mulches are the most insect resistant. I always though something like cypress mulch would resist termites. So anything you can tell me about wood mulch would help me. There are several local companies that use ground up local wood mulch and color it but I don't want to go that way if there is any chance of termites. Tell me what you can.

They have considered paying a lot of money for rubber type mulch that I don't think is necessary in this case.

2. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

cedar mulch wont attract bugs

3. watch where you are with the cedar...in NJ we are having problems with insects in mulch. It is because of the flooding in areas where the mulch comes from. Make sure you think about that too

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Bark is a tree's natural protective coating against insects.

Unfortunately, the play equipment often has wood chips specified. Be careful that you use something that meets the manufacturer's specification to cover your tail. If the property owner wants you to go with something else, make them sign a waiver. Children's play equipment is lawsuit territory. The prop owner might not sue you, but if a kid gets hurt their insurance company's lawyer will know every place to recoup that payout. Mulch that does not meet the spec's will be seen as a possible reason for more serious injury from a fall.

Play equipment is a good area to avoid whenever possible.