Wood mulch question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by bderks, May 1, 2006.

1. bderks

bderks LawnSite Member

This past Thursday I put down 4 yards of dark brown hardwood mulch. Looked great. Then it rained steadily Friday and Saturday which seems to have washed most of the color out of the mulch, leaving it look like it's already a year old.

What's the deal, is this normal?? I've seen other properties around that put similar-colored mulch down months ago it seems to be holding the color just fine. Did I just get a bad load?

mulch01.jpg

Mulch02.jpg

2. #1 Exmark fan

#1 Exmark fan LawnSite Member

Did you buy the mulch in bags or in Bulk? Was it color dyed?

3. bderks

bderks LawnSite Member

I bought it in bulk - yes is was dyed what they call "espresso".

4. #1 Exmark fan

#1 Exmark fan LawnSite Member

a dyed mulch will lose some of its color after it rains I did a mulch job last week with the red dyed mulch it rained that nite my next day on my way into work I looked at in and the liked look it was done last year I hope this helped you out.

5. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

Colored mulches seem to need a few dry days in the sun to maintain their color for longer periods. The first thing I do is check the forecast before I install any colored mulch. I like to give it at least 2 full days in the sun after it's installed so the color sticks around.

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

The dye washed away. It can be sprayed with a colorant, but these will fade too. It shouldn't have washed THAT much color away. I'm guessing it dried out alo too, and that is making it look lighter. The only colorant I know of is lesco NuMulch. Not sure on costs. I am sure there are others on the market too.

7. bderks

bderks LawnSite Member

Thank for the replies. I talked to the place I got it from, and he recommended that I wait until there will be 3-4 days without rain, and then cultivate the mulch so that I move the bottom mulch (which is still dark) up to the top. Having a few dry days afterwards will supposedly give the mulch time to dry and let the color set in.

If it bleaches out again, they'll give me new mulch or my money back. I'm really not looking forward to replacing 4 full yards of the stuff!!!!

8. VWBOBD

VWBOBD LawnSite Member

Go To Lesco And Get Some "nu Mulch"

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yea cheap dyed mulch,,try buying better material.Bark chips keep their color better than that.Bulk natural hardwood mulch.