wood or steel deck?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by snakasnee, Dec 28, 2005.

1. snakasnee

snakasnee LawnSite Member

shopping for my first trailer. which should i get, a wood or steel deck trailer? what are the pros and cons of each? you guys are great... thanks!!!

2. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

Wood is much much cheaper and eaiser to replace. but good or bad allows some seep through,
    steel HEAVY, expensive, allows no seep through not even standing water will get through so when itisi sitting all winter it is rusting away
    my 2cents

3. snakasnee

how about steel mesh?

4. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

mesh is kinda hard to replace, and is more expensive than wood, also it rusts. with wood its real cheap to replace

5. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

cant haul muclh etc on mesh either.
    and it is about $20 per square foot

6. THAD

THAD LawnSite Member

I LOVE STEEL MESH IT LETS ME WASH MY MOWERS A THE LOCAL CAR WASH, AND CLEAN EQUIPMENT LOOKS GOOD AND LAST LONGER. WOOD ROTS FASTER THAN STEEL RUST. NOT TO MENTION BLACK RUST PROOF PAINT.
    THATS MY 2 CENTS. :gunsfirin

7. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. That's why I have wood.

8. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i love it for the same reasons...for hualing mulch i would use my pick-up or id throw a tarp down...i am curently working on some way of takin two peices of ply-wood and making an easy on and off way to get them to lay down when i need them for mulch...but they my 2cents but its all up to you...i wouldnt go with jst steal tho...wood or steal mesh...

9. snakasnee

how often does wood need to be replaced?