Wood Retaining wall Height

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Mini man, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

I have to remove a 4 foot high railway tie wall around a persons property and replace it.
    They want wood again and in some spots it will be almost 5 feet high.
    Is it structurally possible to do this with wood?

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

yes it can be done. lots of deadman and LOTS of digging.

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

this is a wall that was put in before I came to do the landscaping, its made out of 8x8x16's. So what you want can be done. If you do a search there are some pictures posted of some really huge wood walls from some guy in England from about a year ago I think.

woodwall.jpg

4. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

Those railroad tie walls are DOOOOOOMMMMED!!!!!!!!!!!! Little to no dead men. No support on the wing walls? Look at the slope behind the walls! Thats a lot of water coming down. It won't be long at all till someones :cry: :cry:

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

greg1, we did a pressure treated wall a few years ago and the owners didn't want the look of the deadman end grain so we welded up some brackets and lag bolted them to cable and buried the deadmen behind the wall. I used turnbunckles to tightened them in place. The wall is about 5 years old now and still looks like the day we put it in. I also like the straight clean look of no end grain.

6. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

That sounds very innovative. Based on your experience and the fact that you can see sporatic dead men, do you think they did that here?

7. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

Lots of great answers guys thanks:canadaflag:

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

greg1, no I agree with you the wall is doomed. I'm sure they would have used deadmen on the whole job and not just on part. I don't like the looks of the material and size of hill above. I have only done a couple of walls and that one is too much for me.

9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

Neat idea, I hope you used stainless wire though.

BTW, just to reiterate, I did not build that wall pictured, I just did the landscaping after the wall (and) house was placed.

10. PBinWA

PBinWA LawnSite Member

There also doesn't appear to be any drainage behind the wall. I'm not even a pro and I know about that. The wall is just supposed to hold the drainage in place so the water can fall down behind the wall and escape. It's not the dirt behind a wall that causes it to collapse, it's too much water with no place to go that causes problems.

Pick up a book on retaining walls at Home Despot and you will see how it's done. Cheap investment in order to at least get something that isn't a total waste of wood.