1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

wood splitter hydro help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Ziob, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Ziob

Ziob LawnSite Member

hi everyone,
    buddy of mine got a wood splitter very small non towable starts right up and runs but doesn't have enough power in the cylinder to split really anything except really really small wood. Any hardwood or normal lengths it just jams up and doesn't have enough to push through it. Outside of sharpening the actual splitter V in the front thats pretty dull any ideas what the problem might be? They wouldn't sell this thing if it didn't split anything.

reservoir is full but maybe air in the line? it has a screw in hydro filter that is dented would that cause loss in power? do the pumps get so weak on these things they can't do anything anymore?

thanks not a big deal just wondering as its lost its power here is a pic of it.

woodsplitter.jpg

2. Ziob

Ziob LawnSite Member

engine revs up and spins the pump fine so its not an rpm issue....not leaks either

3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

It should have enough bawls to overcome a dull splitter. Ya prolly got a problem with the valve assy., could be worn O-rings/seals, or dirt or bypass valve worn or dirty. The only way to tell is to TEE in a pressure gauge, or just pull it apart and inspect. Obviously, it could also be a worn/bad pump, or cyl.

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

When's the last time the filter was changed?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Ziob

Ziob LawnSite Member

no idea don't want to dump alot of money and time into it cuz its such a tiny little thing i don't know why the guy got it in the first place.....piston looks pretty good i'll try bleeding the line again to make sure there's no air and go from there. wasn't used much so unless the rings are shot from sitting i wouldn't think it was them.

6. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Is it going to break the bank to replace the filter and a little oil?

7. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

When running the splitter...
    Does the engine epeed pull down when the ram stops pushing ?
    If so ..the hydraulics are probably ok..
    If not...you have air or something bypassing....Orings in the valve or cylinder or a weak pump..
    With the size of the bed on that splitter...Probably not to hard to overload it...

8. Ziob

Ziob LawnSite Member

cracked the lines doesn't seem to be an air lock problem i got clear fluid coming out no air or bubbly fluid. Must be just a week sissy pump cuz the thing is that small of a splitter.....it'll split but anything with a knot it'll just lock up only splits the easy stuff.

9. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

It looks home built. Any numbers on it?