wood splitter question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mowerman41, May 9, 2010.

1. mowerman41

mowerman41 LawnSite Senior Member

This is a stupid question but I can not find the answer. If you are towing a wood splitter does it have to have a license plate on it?

2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Depending on the size of the splitter, i would not even trailer it. The tires are small, lines are close to the ground, etc. It says its towable but i only tow it around with a quad if needed...otherwise it goes in the bed of the truck. I would never tow it on the road.

3. kobelcosk35

kobelcosk35 LawnSite Member

i have a good size homemade one and in NY it doesnt need to have a licence plate, breaks or lights

4. randosh4

randosh4 LawnSite Member

What about BRAKES on the axle

5. kobelcosk35

kobelcosk35 LawnSite Member

Yea i thought that looked funny:rolleyes::hammerhead:............................but heres my splitter. been stoped before with it and the officer said it was all legal and to have a good day

010.jpg

6. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Nope. Ours have the little wheels but usually if need be moved - pulling it on trailer or with two guys we lift into back of the truck. I just think safety first with something like that.

7. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

This thread is over a month old but I saw no definite answer to the original question. You need to check with the State Troopers in you own state.

Nosmo