Wood

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rixtag, May 14, 2001.

1. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

I have trailer that has expanded metal sides (2 ft tall). I want to remove it and put wood sides on it to make hauling mulch, soil and other stuff like that easier. My question is what do you treat the wood with to keep it from separating because of rain, snow etc. And any suggestions on the thickness of the wood? I am tninking 3/8 or 1/2" As always the more responses the better. The trailer is 6x12.

Thanks,
    Rick

2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

You would want to buy Walmanized Lumber for this. It is already pre-treated and is supposed to last from 25 to 40 years. I would still put Thompson Water Seal on the wood each year to help it repel water. I would use at least 1/2", but 3/4" would be even better.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Any pressure treated plywood will work fine. Mine as been on the trailer for 3+ years now with no separation or rot.

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Plain ol CDX sheathing will last indefinitely. I have 8 year old sideboards for the truck which are stored outdoors uncovered which have yet to delaminate. just space them 1/2 inch off the trailer floor so the ends dont stay wet and rot.