1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wooden Ramps

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 10' x 7' trailer that I purchased to use for mowing. It is a dump trailer that the guy used for his quads. I need to be able to get my mower on and off of my trailer safely. I do not know which mower I am going to buy yet, but it is going to be over 400 pounds so I do not think the boards with the metal ends are going to work very well. I already purchased the metal board ends and fastened them to a 2'' x 6'' board, now I am having second thoughts. The mower I get is going to be a gear drive so I will not be able to back it onto the trailer. I was going to walk behind up the boards and to get it off I was going to just turn it around and drive it off of the trailer. There would be plenty of room on my trailer to turn it around. If I am careful can i do this safely or what should I do? I cannot afford to spend a ton of money on ramps at this time. Thanks for any help :)
  2. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

A trailer dealer near you would most likely build and install a typical expanded metal gate/ramp for 95 beans.

Do that instead of anything else.
  3. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I would suggest finding a really old trailer somewhere in a junkyard maybe and jus salvaging the door on the back of it, or you could get some plywood, 2 by 4's, some sheet metal, and some hinges or something, work something out dude, this should be your chance to be creative, I could think of a bunch of things to solve this problem, i jus don't wanna explain it all.

4. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

NNJLandman, that is the the problem. I am not very creative.
    GeeVee, I will see if there are any trailer dealers locally. I cannot think of any off the top of my head. $95 seams a little cheap to me.
  5. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

check EBay under "aluminum atv ramp"
  6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

how high is the trailer off the ground? and what kind of mower, walk behind or rider?
    a walk behind should have no trouble on the wooden ramps. i loaded a 48" wb up and down on my dumptruck, whichis about waist high. a trailer should be lower then that.
    I don't think you'll find a door installed or anything for $95 dollars. everything is cheaper in florida. for a ramp door here, would be no less then $300 installed.
  7. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Your wooden ramps will work allright.
    If you're worried about the weight, just put a couple of cinder blocks midway underneith the ramps.
  8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Husky, I strongly concur with GV's advice.. Find someone who can build you a ramp.. Around here A guy wanted @ 220 to build one. Which is dirt cheap compared to a hospital visit after the mower falls off of or breaks the boards, hurting or killing you... I would still do it even if the trailer is only 18" to 2 feet off the ground based on the time savings alone vs. ramps....
  9. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

i have wooden ramps and go up and down my truck everday. I back my gear drive down with no problem.
  10. TrueTrim1

TrueTrim1 LawnSite Member

I would not be as concerned about the wood breaking as I would be about the ramps either slipping off the trailer, the mower falling off the ramps ( afew inches one way or another and you've had it), or the mower slipping on the ramps when it is wet.

I thought about wooden ramps myself at first, but then decided that it would be too risky. One mistake loading or unloading could be all it takes.