woods 2560 slowing down on slope

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tamorris, Mar 13, 2005.

1. tamorris

tamorris LawnSite Member

i have just purchased a used woods 2560 mower and am worried.i paid 4000 dollars for it and it only has 307 hrs on it,but the other day while i was trying it out i noticed that it wanted to slow down a little bit while going up a long gradual slope in my back yard.It was about 40 degrees outside, but i did let it warm up 10 minutes before i took it for a ride. i need some advice. could the belt be slipping?could there be something wrong with the wheel motors or pumps?The man i bought it from said that he hadn't had any trouble with it but that he just didn't have any use for it because he bought House with a smaller yard .He had been keeping 5 acres cut with it. I have been reading lawn-site for a year and have just now decided to post. I have also researched ztr mowers and really would like to have bought an exmark, but i thought this would be a little cheaper than making a payment. I hope i didn't mess up.I will be keeping 2.5 acres mowed at my house and 1.5 at my in-laws.Iam not in it to make money i just enjoy a well cut lawn.As far as I know the mower is a 99 or 2000 model.It has a CV-25 Kohler mounted on it.If somebody could help me i really would appreciate it.Please excuse my typing :help:

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

It does sound like a hydro belt slipping. Also check the fluid level. I'm familuar with Grasshopper mowers, and it probably has the same Gemini Transmission. I think that there are 2 belts for the hydros. If I remember corectly,the're pretty easy to adjust. Did the owner give you a manual?

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Some pics of the slope would help. If its a long steady slope and you only lost a little speed or a short steep one, I doubt that anythings wrong with the mower. I would take it to a dealer and have the whole mower gone over to eliminate any problems before they arise and to check anything that might be wrong with it now, and while its there have him service it 1 time.

4. tamorris

tamorris LawnSite Member

thanks bob and olderthandirt. The previuos owner did provide an engine manual and mower manual. The slope is about 120 yards long ,not very steep.After trying to keep 2.5 acres mowed with a Craftsman 46 inch i am hoping that this mower will cut down on my mowing time,but am more concerned with cut quality.Do you think I payed too much for this mower? The man i bought it from worked at a John Deere dealership that sold woods products.Something else i failed to mention is that i am apretty big person but when iused my brothers 48/17 exmark last summer it did not slow down.Once again thanks for your help. :waving:

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If it has the Gemini Trans. system, there will be two belts. Check the idler pulley that puts tension on each of those belts. There is one on each belt. That pulley is plastic, and they wear down, so that while the belt stays on, they are not putting enough tension on the belt and the belt/belts can slip some.
    Also, you might change the trans. filters and the trans oil. I see a lot of homeowner machines where this has NEVER been done.

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We have a Woods 2560. The mid mounts Woods mowers does not have the Gemini transmission because they are made by Gravely. The 2560 is about the same a a 260 Gravely. It has hydrogear pumps and Ross motors. The idler pulley for the hydro belt is plastic so is the idler for the deck belt. I would say to go ahead and replace the plastic idlers on the hydro and the deck belt with new metal ones and go ahead and replace the hydro belt and change the hydro oil and filter.

We are also located in danville. Have you tried the mower out in wet grass? Our's will clog up and clump really bad but our deck was sorta in bad shape. We replaced a couple of the baffles and painted the underside of the deck so hopefully that will help it. Who did you buy the mower from? Someone at Greenline? Thats where we bought ours new abut 5 years ago.

7. Prairielandmower Service

Prairielandmower Service LawnSite Member

You have 1 of three things wrong, you have a worn belt, idler pully frozen, or the arm the idler is mounted on is frozen and needs to be taken off and cleaned and lubed

8. tamorris

tamorris LawnSite Member

bought mower from a person that had previously worked at greenline.I am curious to see how this mower is going to work. Travis where did you get your pulleys and belts at. I think i am going to lawsons when i get off work in the morning.

9. tamorris

tamorris LawnSite Member

Prairielandmower service ,thanks for the help.

10. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We went to Lawnsons and ordered our pulleys. I'll warn you that they wont be cheap and you'll probibly have to wait 3 weeks to get them. We went to Homeland and ordered a new set of blades and 2 new baffles. They ordered them from a Woods distributor but it took them about 3 weeks to get those parts in. Woods is the worst mower to get parts for that i've ever seen. Takes forever and they are expensive. Thats the only downside to the Woods mowers. Our mower has been a good one though. Its got 554 hours on it and never had nothing major wrong with it.