1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Woods brand ZTR mowers, opinions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DLM155, Apr 27, 2010.

1. DLM155

DLM155 LawnSite Member

There is a used 48" Woods 5182 ZTR for sale for 1500$ locally. I have never ever seen anyone around here use one of these before, and until I saw the ad had no idea Woods made anything but PTO driven brushhogs. It looks very similar to a Walker mower without the GHS. The particular mower I'm looking at is a 1999 or 2000 (he isn't sure) powered by a 18hp Kohler twin with an unknown amount of hours (claims the hour meter never worked).

The layout of the machine being so similar to Walkers I can only assume its going to be pretty useless for hills/steep grades. What kind of cut quality and build quality? What kind of speed can I expect? Is this a worthwhile mower or should I pass on it? I am a 90% residential business, most of my lawns are pretty flat and 1/4 to 1/2 acre or smaller lots.

This would be my main mower with a Scag 36 wb as my backup/hill/backyard mower.