1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Woods Equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by harvardbeans, May 20, 2007.

1. harvardbeans

harvardbeans LawnSite Member

Hey gang. I need an expert concensus.

My mother-in-law is about to buy a Woods Equipment zero turn and I am trying to talk her out of it. I have never heard of it. I use Gravely, and told her to stick with a big name like Scag/Hustler/Exmark etc.

Can anyone vouch for this so-called "Woods" mower?
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Can't vouch for it. The change suppliers too often. Grasshopper used to make them then they switched to another company. Stay with a more stable company.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, Woods jumps around a lot with suppliers.

However, from a really good dealer I would consider the new MZ series mid-mounts.
    It's just a Bob-Cat/Bunton/Jacobsen, which used to be a Textron owned outfit.
    Now Little Wonder owns them.

But in any event, it's not something that's going anywhere, and even if Woods changes next year, parts can still be had for it easily through any Bob-Cat/Bunton/Jacobsen dealer.
  4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If its a front mount it could be a Grasshopper or an Encore. If it's a mid mount it's either a Gravely or if it's a newer machine it's a Bob Cat/ Bunton/ Jacobsen like Envy said.

I wouldn't recommend a Woods machine because parts through Woods are expensive and hard to get. We have a 60" mid mount made by Gravely and we had to buy a new spindle for it the other day and it was $330. We had no choice but to pay it because we don't have a Gravely dealer nearby.
  5. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

Yeah, Woods has changed suppliers on a regular basis. I know that they used Gravely for at least a couple of years for their mid-mount zero turns, but I don't know who they're using now. There's been a Woods (Gravely) ZTR listed in the Nashville Craigslist for a few months (ad is listed about once every 3 weeks). :)
  6. Jasonn B

Jasonn B LawnSite Member
    from USA

Anymore info on the woods machines? There is a place here that has a M2760 with 15 hours on it. Does woods make a striping kit? DO they cut well?

7. hossmp

hossmp LawnSite Member

Wow, that picture looks just like a Gravely.
  8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

That is a machine built by Gravely.