Woods Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NYRookie, May 3, 2003.

1. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

A big commercial property I picked up has a Woods 6215 ztr with a grass catcher on it. The engine is a 15hp deisel, 62" cut, has 360 hrs on it and looks in pretty good condition. The guy in charge of the grounds said he would sell it to me for $5500. I was thinking of using it for a second machine or as a back up. I was originally going to buy an Exmark 48" w/b this year.
    Does anyone have this kind of machine? Any problems or should I just get the Exmark that I will need eventually?
    Any comments would be helpful.

2. cblackwe

cblackwe LawnSite Member

Updating the post, because I am interested in experiences w/ the Woods MowNMachine ZTR also??:D :D :D

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I can't give you any advice regarding the value or whether or not you should buy the mower but I can tell you this. If it's a belly mount mower than it was made by Gravely. If it's an outfrront mower then it was made by Grasshopper. A search (located at the top of every page here at Lawnsite) will reveal information about those brands of mowers.

4. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Rich Martin or whoever,
    What is the difference between an out-front, belly mount, etc..

I have a Woods 1250 mower. The deck I assume is "Out front" cause my feet rest on a platform that covers the belt that drives the blades. The seat where I sit is above the battery and directly under that is the set of 2 drive wheels. Mounted behind me is the engine itself mounted on a frame, followed by bracketing for the grass collector bags. Underneath the mounting for the grass collection system, there is a 3rd wheel, like a wheelbarrow, that rides all alone and trails behind..

Also - I find that when I go up a hill, the deck hits the hill first, lifting up the front of the machine, and it's then possible for my drive wheels to be suspended in the air some, therefor losing traction...

Does this happen on Exmarks LazerHP's or not at all as there is no way for the drive wheels to ever get lifted off of the ground to loose traction?

Thanks.

Gary

5. airborne1

airborne1 LawnSite Member

I HAVE A KUBOTA 1800 FRONT MOUNT THAT ON SOME STEEPER HILLS THE MID WHEELS(BIG WHEELS) COME OFF THE GROUND AND IT FEELS LIKE YOU ARE GOING TO DO AN ENDO, BUT I ONLY USE THIS MOWER FOR BAGGING, SPRING AND FCU'S AND A BACK UP. I HAVE 2 TORO 62" Z-MASTERS AND THEY DRIVE FROM THE BACK SO THEY DON'T DO THIS BUT IF YOU ARE SIDEWAYS ON A STEEPER HILL THEY WILL SOMETIMES LIFT ONE WHEEL OFF THE GROUND AND THAT'S WHEN YOU KNOW YOU SHOULD BE CUTTING WITH A WALK BEHIND INSTEAD. IF I COULD DO IT OVER AGAIN I WOULD BUY A KUBOTA ZD21 60" OR ZD28 72" INSTEAD CHEEPER AND DIESEL.:D