1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Woods Mow'n Machine....or Blow'n Machine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Stan's Customs, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Stan's Customs

Stan's Customs LawnSite Member

Good evening folks..

I have just retired my trusty old 1850 Woods Mow'n Machine which I have repowered twice and replaced every part on it at one time or another. I'm really gona' miss her, she was a gem. It's old mower deck was just worn out and I decided to buy a used Wood's Mow'n Machine 5182 I ran across. It is in appearance nearly the same machine as the old 1850 out front Mow'n Machine.

The new machine is in like new condition even though it is probably 10 years old...and I mean like new. You could wax this thing.

Having said all that ...even though they both have 60" decks and are the out front type....the newer machine spews dirt out out all around the deck . You are filthy in 5 minutes in sparce grass/ dirt where it's real dry...vacant lots etc. The old mower wasn't even close to this dusty. The new one is especially bad, where the dirt is comming comming out from under the front of the deck...that is a bigger issue than on the non shute side and rear, because you can't see or breathe as you drive thru it.

The dust isn't much of an issue on lush watered grass...but who gets to do that all the time.

My question is whether or not anyone has ever dealt with this problem and is it feasible to add a rubber skirt or something to reduce the dust. Or.........any advice or suggestion is appreciated. I hate to sell this mower even though it will make a tidy profit...I really need it.

Regards...Stan M.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Adjust the deck so it has 1/4" lower pitch in the front.

Also Welcome to LawnSite
  3. Stan's Customs

Thanks for the welcome Restrorob..

...and no kiddin'. That'll fix it?? Just set it 1/4" lower in the front than the rear...??

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well Stan, I've seen it work on other units. It worked on mine in my avatar, Doesn't hurt to give it a try.
  5. Stan's Customs

I'll sure try it Restrorob...!

This is the newest old machine I've ever seen, and it even has the high dollar grass catcher. I was really excited when I made the deal on it...I'd never be able to afford one of these new....

I was "really" disappointed after I mowed one lot... I knew I wouldn't be able to keep it because the dirt.. In fact mud is still comming out of my eyes this morning.

I sure hope this works...I just can't believe that all of the 5182 models blow dirt like this....especially since they probably cost $7,000+ when new, and are likely much higher now.

Thanks again for the tip...

6. Stan's Customs

Well back to the drawin' board. the mower is correctly set already... actually it's 3/8" lower in front than the rear.

It has 4 mounting holes where the deck connects to the tractor and it's mounted in the top one. It also has some spacers in the front wheels that could be moved/removed. Maybe this has something to do with that. I don't know. Everything looks perfect. I'm back to wondering if something as simple as a dust skirt would work?

>>any other sugestions?

7. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish there was something I knew that would fix that problem. My Z use to blow dirt real bad. But I did the 1/4 on the front and it helped alot. You may try to put a strip od rubber for a skirt. That may help. Make it maybe a inch or so below the bottom of the deck.
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Put blades with lower lift wings on.
  9. Stan's Customs

Maybe I can get some help from Woods...if I can find a tech line. Anyone know a contact # for them ? The web page is kinda sketchy.

I thought about blades but they look lke the same lift lip as on my old Woods mower. Maybe that would be the next thing anyway. This one has brand new blades on it, hate to waste them...but if that's what it takes , that's just too bad. Beats eatin' dirt..
  10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I think Grasshopper blades wil fit your deck. If so, try a set of Grasshopper,"Contour" blades. They are for use in dry, dusty, sandy conditions, and, really reduce blowout. They work great for either side discharging, or, mulching. I use them a lot during the dry summer months here.