Woods vs Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pflasch, Oct 12, 2008.

1. pflasch

pflasch LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I've been looking for a new frontmount unit.

I've looked at the Walkers, and I looked at the Navigators.
    (BTW, and I don't mean to start a war here, but I was told by a dealer that Exmark's sales on the Navigator are dismal, and Exmark is hinting at killing the Navigator)

I started to look at the Grasshoppers... boy are they built!!!
    The Grasshopper 700 series with a diesel is SWEET!!! Then, I was told by a friend to look at the Woods "Mow n Machine FZ"...
    The story that I got from the Woods Dealer was that Grasshopper use to build the Woods until the mid 90's, and then Woods broke away from Grasshopper, to build their own units!
    The Woods have a better paint job, (sorry, I'm not that partial to baby sh%t brown :laugh: )and some of the newer modernizing things that other companies have gone to... i.e. poly gas tanks, real cup holders & storage compartments molded into the tanks etc.

So, my question to anyone that has actually owned a 2008 (because they went to separate pumps and motors in the 2008 model) how do they hold up??

Here's the pricing that I got from the Woods Dealer.
    NEW 2008 FZ 250 (25 HP Kubota 902 series 3 cyl diesel) with a 61" frontmount deck, suspension seat and the PowerTilt for the deck - $11,900

Here's what I was quoted by a Grasshopper Dealer.
    NEW 2008 722D (22 HP Kubota 3 cyl diesel) with a 61" frontmount deck and NO Powerlift for the deck - $16,400
    (Powerlift was an add'l $500.00!)

The build is almost identical under the hoods (I guess that Woods is still using the Grasshopper frame blueprints!??) Any idea why a $5,000 difference in price...

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

How much does that diesel engine contribute to the cost of the Woods? Why a front mount?
  3. pflasch

from VA

I didn't check the price of a non diesel.

I like the front mounts for the abilities to get under trees and bushes etc... and I like the way they can get into areas where with a mid mount, I'd probably have to go back to "trim" with a trimmer.
  4. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd go for the Woods, buddy. I priced a 722D with PowerFold deck lift at my local dealer and it was $14,000 something. $11,900 sounds like a deal, considering you get 3 more hp, power deck lift, and some of the things Woods has that Grasshopper doesn't. I was looking at the brochure rack at my dealer yesterday and there was one comparing the Mow'N Machine with the Grasshopper. It was pretty neat. I bought a Woods MZ3361G yesterday. I know that Woods outsources their mowers, but they aren't going to put their name on junk.

Do this: Make a chart or something to compare the features you like about the Grasshopper and the things you like about the Woods, without thinking about price. Then write down what you don't like about each. If the Grasshopper comes out on top (more positives, fewer negatives), then decide if the difference is worth $4500. If the Woods comes out on top, then, by all means, that's the one to get!
  5. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Does the deck on the Woods mower tilt from side to side? I know on the Grasshoppers you need to have bushings or something like that installed for it to tilt from side to side. Test them out and buy what you like more. I think Grasshoppers are just overpriced.
  6. pflasch

from VA

Thanks for the info!
    I've downloaded the manual for the FZ25D from the Woods website. Talk about a great manual!!! If you are handy in the least, this manual walks you thru repair or replacement (with diagrams!) on just about everything... including engine removal!! Very detailed!

I would have loved to see that piece that compared the Woods vs the Grasshopper! I didn't see it in the lit. rack... I'll have to stop back in and ask for a copy! Thanks!
    As far as the pros and cons spreadsheet that you suggested (great idea BTW) for about $5,000 difference, I would assume the the Grasshopper will make love to me and then take me out for a nice dinner!! MANY TIMES!!! ha ha

Thanks for your input, and congrates on you getting your Woods MZ3361G... keep us informed as you break it in.
  7. pflasch

from VA

Yeap! The literature shows the deck doing about 15 degrees both up and down from level... and about 10 degrees on the sideways tilt from level.
    It's just a picture, and I'm guessing at the actual number, but that would be close since they do not actually have it spelled out in the lit. :cry:
  8. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

I have the new 61" 722 GH. Mine was 13,000.00 INCLUDING full suspension seat, extra height sticks, power lift deck, and tax. I thought THAT was a lot. I would have passed out if I got your price!
    I love my GH, definitely the right choice for me. I think the Woods might give a better finish cut, but slower. Get demos of both and make your choice. You might want to check another dealer for price on the GH though.
  9. pflasch

from VA

Boy, that's a BIG difference!!!

Maybe he miss read the pricing guide and gave me a price on the new 29HP Kubota (729)... but even that would be outrageous to go from a 22HP to a 29HP Kubota!
    Thanks for the info...
  10. pflasch

from VA

ooooo weeeee!!! (from Jed Clampett on The Beverly Hillbilly's) that is one sweet machine!!

Can I ask what you had to give for it... and what area of the country you are in?
    I'm in Virgina, and they don't give anything away here!! :dizzy: