1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Woods Z turn

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by brownrog, Jun 27, 2004.

1. brownrog

brownrog LawnSite Member

I bought a new Woods 20 hp, 50" cut this spring. From the begining it scalped and left tracks in the yard badly. It did this on several different yards, some worse than others. Woods had a fix for the scalping which was to install rubber stops to limit axle travel. This machine has a pivoting axle as does Gravely and one or two more. The rubber stops eliminated 90% of the scalping but not all. Gravely has a lock-up mechanism to lock the axle from pivoting. 90% of the zero turns out there have no front axle, but have the front spindles bolted directly to the frame. Apparently from what I have learned, it is not necessary to have a pivoting front axle and in fact, I believe that the mowers that do not have a pivoting front axle probably mow better. Therefore, I plan to try to figure some way to stop movement of the front axle all-together. Also I am of the opinion that I need wider rear tires to stop the tracking. I have 23x8:50's, and most other mowers of this type use at least 10:50's. Has anyone had any experience with these types of problems?