Woods ZTR for $250?!?!?! Quick Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys,
    I have come across a used Woods 51" ZTR thru a friend that is getting rid of it. Long story as to how it was acquired.. it was used on a site for the lawn maintenance. This site now contracts out their lawn maintenance and the mower left the property to go get fixed cause it wasn't running.. This site has now forgotten about this "junk" mower they had, they no longer need this mower cause they have someone cutting the site under contract, and the guy who fixed the machine up and is now stuck with it.. well, I'm good friends with him.. :) So he's offering this mower to me for $250.. How's this sound:

Machine is a Mow-In-Machine 1250, has a 12 HP Kohler engine mounted on the rear. Talked to my friend today, engine runs fine. Hydros are working as well.

Has what I believe to be a a 51 inch cutting deck, model D4412 on it.. Looks like it might need a new belt or 2 and probably 3 need blades, but that's it.

Also has a side-mounted blower with tubing that goes into a rear grass catching bag, model B7044-H8044 (if I can read my own handwriting) <G>.. Bag is cloth mesh, has some holes in it.. Don't know if the collection system works, but the machine looks to be in all the same condition.

Now, I looked in my phone book and there is only 1 woods dealer listed around.. Tires on the machine look good, my friend mentioned the accelerator cable is frozen, but that's about it. So if I buy this for $250, and have my woods dealer do a tuneup, am I crazy or sounds like it might work out? Not too sure what to do, but I'd love to get a smaller ZTR for $250. :)

Gary

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

For 250 bucks, it doesn't sound too bad. It's worth that in parts to someone that has one. You may want to check around to see if there is a Grasshopper dealer around you. Depending on what year it is, for several years, the Grasshoppers were the mowers Woods used. Many of the parts are still interchangable.

3. LawnPro in NC

LawnPro in NC LawnSite Member

I'll give 250.00 for it sight unseen. Let me know if yo don't want it.

4. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

cutting deck, model D4412....... Makes it a 44" deck I think. :confused:

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm thinking the same thing as sammy, 4412 = 44 inch deck and 12hp motor.

6. LawnPro in NC

I have a 6215 Woods with a 61 in deck and a 21 hp deisel.

7. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

How do you like your Woods? Is it a good machine?

I think the problem I'm going to have is parts. There is only 1 dealer in my area that even lists as doing Woods products, and even he is probably 45 minutes away, 1 way... I called a bunch of local dealers today, they all said they could do a general tune up on the machine, but they can not even get any Woods-specific parts for it, if it needs any... :(

But I still think that for $250, if I can get it to run AND cut grass, then that is great. :)

How do these things do as far as deck overhang goes? Lots of trimming or are they good for mowing?? Can they pull any add-on items like a Trac-Vac or anything???

Gary

8. LawnPro in NC

Well for the most part I like it. I probally would not buy another one though. It does and O.K. Job Compared to the Walker. It stripes O.K. and it will cut anything. Since I've had the walker it gets beat up a little. I cut rough stuff with the woods. But I also cut bigger lawns w/it. I have the vaccum system with it. It is Hell on leaves and the dump makes it even better. On the seat dumping.

Parts, I have found Kabota parts ie. Filters , belts and such at other places. The blades I buy for a 61" Snapper. Some of the parts you will have to get from woods. The dealer here loves them. I had to get a seat hinge the other day 23.95 plus shipping.

I did find a cross for the hydro fluid. Texaco Rondo 68.

For 250. I don't think you'll go wrong.

Try to find a grasshopper dealer they will most likely have the same parts.

Like I said I'll buy it for 250.

9. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

heck Gary, for $250 snatch it up!

you can always sell it and double your money on ebay....

homeowner or not, it's a cheap way to make some money.

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

dooghie--why did you even post this?

why didn't you just buy it?:confused:

GEO