wooly adelgid

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Gmgbo, May 29, 2008.

1. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

I sprayed hemlocks with wooly adelgid with Merit. I applied it at .5 tablespoons per 5 gallons. I soaked the foilage and somewhat sprayed the soil. Its been 3 weeks and the adelgid is still there. Any ideas?
  2. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Are you sure? THe insect is probably dead and the wooly cover is still there. It persists for quite a while.
    Rub between your fingers, if they are dry and crumbly they are dead. Juicy, hit em again.
    I would suggest a cheaper treatment. Orthene 2/3lbs per 100 gal. talstarPro works well also. Heck of a lot cheaper too.
    Remember there is a second generation active in the fall so sell 2 treatments per year.
  3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

There are few effective treatments for this pest until it hatches and feeds, as far as I know. Only high power spray guns can break the wooley egg nest "pod" where the larvae are. Once they hatch, sytsemic insecticides work well, both as foliar sprays and as soil drenches. Merit is a very effective choice. As philk said, there may well be lesser expensive options, but few as effective.

This stinkin bug.... it's a real blight here on LI.... many nurseries won't even sell Hemlocks anymore.... as they garantee most of their plants. If treated, the tree can survive and even remain fairly healthy.... without treatment, at best they will look like chit, and at worst, die. The wierd thing is I've seen REALLY bad infestations, and 3/4 mile away, Hemlocks with NONE of this pest on them. Here it seems to be very locaized pockets of bad infestations.

In any case, from what I know, Merit while expensive, remains the most effectrive treatment.