Wooo Hooo I Swithced after 14 years

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yamadooski, Jul 1, 2005.

1. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

After 14 years of using Dixie Chopper I went and bought the new Exmark XS with the 31 HP.
    All I can say is WOW what a cut. The only reason I never bought an Exmark before was the ground speed going from one house to another was way to slow.
    With this 31 hp engine now it goes almost as fast as the Dixie.
    My other Dixie was the 28 hp Extreme.

2. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

How many hours did you put on the dixie?

3. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

You mean the 28hp Supreme.
    :)

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

What are some of the major differences you like better about the Exmark other than cut? Is there anything you miss about the Dixie?

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Nah, he said Xtreme. In 2003 Dixie Chopper built a bunch of 60" 28 EFI mowers that had mis-matched hydro pumps and wheel motors. The result was truely the fastest production mower ever built. Mine will easily do in excess of 15 mph at 3750 RPM. It was the first Xtreme Mowchine from Dixie Chopper.The only problem is all of that ground speed comes at a price. If you try to mow thick grass while going really fast or up steep grades the mower will bog down and you have to slow down to a normal ZTR speed to get through it.

6. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that hp doesnt effect traveling speed in a mower.

7. cushman

cushman LawnSite Member
    from se pa

HP increases groundspeed if the model with more HP comes with larger displacement pumps and the same displacement drive motors.

8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Want to go faster?

Just notch out the motion control lever stops of make the pump control lever shorter.

9. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23 LawnSite Member

Why do you like the eXmark better? Is it the creature comforts or speed or quality of cut? Really is it a better cut?

If you used the Dixie Choppers for so long why did you change?

For me here in Indiana I can get an extreme or supreme series for around $7,000. That beats the heck out of the other brands on price for the mowing potential.

Matter of fact in the $7,000 range you can get a home owner Scag but not a 50” - 60” – 72” balls to the wall full blown professional mower.

I like that every thing is manual on the Dixie Chopper, to me that means an electronic component that won’t be going bad.

10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Don't get me wrong Dixie's are great machines. But why do all the golf courses and city workers mowing medians down here use eXmark and Toro? Must mean something. They cut great and are well built. I am one happy Toro owner. You wont be let down in the long haul.