1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Woops, ratios backwards...

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jul 25, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

OH CRAP, I have my ratios backwards... it is Carbon:Nitrogen, 3:1, woody:green, 3:1, I have been saying it back words, N:C, 3:1, woops, maybe I don't have to bring in manure so much after all... even better!

So... with all my horse shavings and all, with your experience, do I need to add much N to the pile or should it be about right with the existing manure and urine already inside being that is the reason that it has been taken out. When I look at the pile it looks like all wood to me, so maybe bring in a little manure?
  2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

YES, SI , defiantly! with out a doubt, you are going to have to add some N to the pile!!!

are we talking about that light tan shavings pile with no steam and that has been sitting around since the civil war???LOL is that Robert Edward Lee's horse turd in the fore ground????

and did we not go over this in another post??????maybe take notes, the next step is a fireman with a burning pile???
  3. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

no we did, I had my numbers turned around apparently though so I was thinking I needed all N and a little C, at least for now I wont have to bring in so much N.

I have multiple kinds of piles, I have yellow shavings, new stuff, that is basically all it is at one farm, and then the other two have a mix of new and old, good ole black thin plastic shims type texture. Been there for a few years rotting. And then there are some in the middle.

The old stuff reminds me of the texture of those mouth strips you put on your tongue.