wordpress.org

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by grass disaster, Feb 23, 2010.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

anyone use this?

i'm trying to download it but so far no luck.

2. ritchiem

ritchiem LawnSite Member

I used WordPress for both of my sites

www.murphyslawns.com

and

www.thelawnblog.com

Where are you stuck? I can walk you thru

3. grass disaster

i'm not sure i tried downloading it and it didn't seem easy, i ran out of time to look into it. it looked a little complecated.... i'm looking for easy.

wow that first one is impressive.

whats the differnece in wordpress and this place http://www.webpage-maker.com/?

4. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have hosting set up already?

I started with wordpress.com, where they take care of the hosting. Played around with the themes, etc., and figured out how to run it. Then I followed the instructions for moving the whole thing over to my server as an extension of my main site. Self-hosting is way better as I have a wider array of themes and widgets available.

5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Its an interesting tool. But I decided to put it aside and just write webpages instead.

One advantage of a blog seems to revolve around that it can feel more informal, and writing off the cuff seems to fit. Web pages seem more proper when fine tuned more for grammar. Not neccessarily, but that's my impression.

:)

6. ritchiem

ritchiem LawnSite Member

You'll need your own hosting first of all. But make sure that your host allows you to create mysql databases and have control over them. That is probably the hardest part. From there you can follow WP's simple install. Very easy to install and change a theme, however, a bit more difficult when you want to change the theme to match your company. You'll need some CSS and PHP experience.

7. grass disaster

i have bluehost.com

8. grass disaster

ok so i got it installed.

is wordpress not used for designing?

i use filezilla too.

i guess i need some help getting things rolling. i seem to have some groung work in place.....*trucewhiteflag*

9. grass disaster

anyone have some info for me?

10. ritchiem

ritchiem LawnSite Member

no WP is not a design suite such as Dreamweaver. It is a publishing tool that was created for bloggers. But with new themes and plugins it can be a very powerful web presence for any company willing to put in the effort.

FileZilla is a great FTP tool for uploading your site so that is good.

Once you have WP installed you can then search for a nice theme (or get someone to make one for you)...there are a lot of 'free' themes out there, you just need to search for them.

When you find one you like you need to unpack it and upload it via your FTP (FileZilla in this case) to your 'wordpress/wp-contents/themes/' directory. Then login to your WP admin panel and activate the theme.

From there you can edit the content, CSS (cascading style sheets; these control your colors, page layouts, headers, footers, etc) and plugins.