1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

wordpress.org

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by grass disaster, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Terran

Terran LawnSite Member

You should also be able to upload themes from within wordpress now that you got it set up. No real advantage except you don't have to unpack and you don't have to open filezilla.

If you're going to start editing your theme look into notepad ++. Free text editor made for code (highlights it nicely to help find your way around. Also use www.w3schools.com as a reference.

Remember that once you edit a theme you'll need to copy this edits over if you upgrade the theme or you'll lose them.

2. BearWise Landscapers

BearWise Landscapers LawnSite Senior Member

I use wordpress for our website as well. It is very easy to add articles and make changes. I highly recommend it over other website options. You do need to design a template or have somebody design one for you.

Let me know if I can help as well.

3. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure I'd call it "very powerful".

Maybe not even "powerful". Now ... "web presence", sure. It's a web presence.

Most companies approaching web presence professionally, begin with a website. Then a blog secondary. If they are not on a shoestring budget.

But I've seen a few go in reverse with a blog first. If someone can load the program on their own paid server, that seems even more appealing.

I think one advantage is ease of adding content. When content is easy to add, more can be added quicker. And that content is what increases the presence. Its not so much in the power of the thing, as it is in the effort invested.

Now taking your entire phrase though - "very powerful web presence for any company willing to put in the effort" - then powerful sound appropriate.

:)

4. ritchiem

ritchiem LawnSite Member

I am confused by your post. Because that is exactly what I said...powerful if you use it properly. I am not arguing by any means, just would like you to clarify.

5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Let's say I was trying to yield some optimism for your idea.

6. ritchiem

ritchiem LawnSite Member