1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Work all year or Winters off

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by desert rose gardening, Jan 29, 2007.

Work all year or take Winters off

1. Work all year

80 vote(s)
  2. Take Winters off

68 vote(s)
  1. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

As things slow down, I shift gears and push the concrete curbing. The stable weather and cool temps work well with concrete.
  2. PhillyShells

PhillyShells LawnSite Member

Taking winters off so far - went down to Myrtle Beach for 2-3 weeks the last two years goofing off and golfing. Thinking about heading down to Florida next year and maybe staying down for at least a month. I dont mind being called a snowbird...ha ha !
  3. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawns in the summer.
    Snow, painting, refinishing in the winter.
    Care taking year round although mostly in the winter.
  4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I have winters off exept for a few days of snow removal and wouldnt have it any other way. As tough as this business can be I can not imagine not having those 3 months off to re-energize before the spring time rush. If I had to work 12 months I dont think I would have stayed in this business very long.

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

6. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

My thoughts exactly!
  7. GLLawns

GLLawns LawnSite Member

I stay home during the winter and do daddy day care. I can't see paying $1200 a month for 2 kids in daycare when I can do it myself for free. Plus I get to watch my kids grow and instill my values on them instead of someone elses. I just sub out plowing to a friend who does it, and none of my customers could care less.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

omg it's hard to say, I've done it both ways and I like the neverending money but I also really enjoy those hybernating zzzzzzz's.
    When it gets all cold and nasty out, there's not but so many workable days, if it's not at least 40 degrees outside, man I can't deal with it, that's beside the fact that most winters the work just isn't there, with the exception of some nasty brush clearing job or some crazy off the wall stuff combined with a low-low price due to lack of demand, if I can't get paid my keep I'd just as soon stay in bed.
  9. Tim@AcesLCLS

Tim@AcesLCLS LawnSite Member

I live in CT and it is harder than hell to mow snow, and I don't have a plow or an interest in shoveling.
  10. Superior L & L

Superior L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Landscape april - november and plow in the winter. It is nice to roll into the office at 9:30 all winter cos its like a vacation.
    Plus i dont have 25 workers to deal with, unless it snows