1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Work boot tip of the day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tpirobert, Feb 21, 2001.

1. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

I recently purchased new light weight hiking style boot for upcoming mowing season. Not heavy enough to stomp on a shovel with, but perfect for everyday mowing. Saleswoman said they were out of my size, but had a "womens"size that might fit. The boot was made same as mens model, just bought 1 size larger in womens. They fit great and I got great deal on sale. So far only difference is I'm more caring, sharing and willing to listen when wearing these boots. What's that all about!?
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, on the brighter side of things:

These new dawgs on yer feet just might help you put the fi-ness needed to win some contracts.

Hope they workout for you.
  3. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

Since we are on the subject of boots, I have been wondering how many of you guys (and gals) wear steel toe boots? Are these a necessary precaution?
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We DO NOT allow our crews to operate without them for safety reasons. I have always been told that should a blade break and chips come flying out from underneath, the steel tips WILL provide you with some prevention against lose of toes.

Hope this helps.
  5. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

We use steel toe hiking boots, the kind that look and feel like tennis shoes. They don't last as long as regular boots but I think the comfort is worth it.

I definately say go with the steel toed boots for safety.
  6. SDF250

SDF250 LawnSite Member

toes what about your foot if a blade comes off you screwed steel toe or not [lazers and sneakers ]
  7. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

tpirobert, when you start crying for no reason at all I would get rid of them
  8. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

Amen to that brother!
  9. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Last year i used the Bon Marche on sale boots. Bad mistake. I may have saved 100$, but my misery for the season was worth way more than that.

I just bought a set of steel toe wolverines a few weeks ago. 125$ of pure bliss. The last pair of boots this comfortable was my old hi-tech military boots. WOW!

Steel toe or no?--> Last year i had a friend of mine work with me on some fence work. While digging a hole he was being careless and tried to dig the hole THROUGH is foot. Some yelps and cursing was most of the damage inflicted, but the lesson still resounds in my mind. Who knows what can happen out there. Can it stop a blade, i doubt it. Protect your toes from a semi truck running over them, probably not. Stop a shovel from removing toes, most assuradly. It is like seatbelts. Some states are optional, but every state stands behind the use of them. Think about it.

Acute Cut
  10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep track of ther calender and just remember not to bid any jobs on the 28th day!!!