work charge

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by texas, Mar 10, 2006.

1. texas

texas LawnSite Member

how do yall charge by the job and not the hour for tractor work?

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Depends...

Usually by the job.

For snow plowing, if the snows to much and we need a loader we have a minimum charge plus additional per hour charge.

3. DeLoreanDMC81

DeLoreanDMC81 LawnSite Member

You could always charge a certain amount by the acre.

James

4. texas

texas LawnSite Member

sorry for the confusion. how do you figure out the charge by a job?

5. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Very Carfully

6. HFD27

HFD27 LawnSite Member

Just figure out how much you wont or need to make and hour. and then how long the job will take.

I would have a drop price of at least two or three times your minimum charge per hour. Just to show up

7. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Could you be any more helpful:rolleyes:

8. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Splicer......that's a good question. Here is what I do on one piece of equipment...it's all the same once you know the game.
    1) I have a track hoe. My hourly billing rate is $97.50 per hour for that machine, 4 hour minimum and transport fee. My transport fee is minimum $100 within an hour travel time and up from there. When I set rock with this machine, my minimum to show up is $1,500 and that includes one load of rock of either 2 or 3 footers. Now, all this is good but means really nothing.....I know the numbers inside and out, upside down and all the combinations......the key is how do you present the situation to get the job and sell the job at your rate, or in my case, at my rate. There are all sorts of ways to package the above information of rates, but the key is presenting that package and making the sell.......that part I will leave to your creativity.

9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

As most have eluded too already. Figure what YOUR wage should be...basically calculate all your costs for the job...includes everything...insurance, machine rental, job materials, payroll, etc... Then, add what you want to make...both on the materials and for your labor. Now, you have an idea of what to charge...calculate how many hours you will be on the job, there is your price.

good luck with it.

10. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

well i think that is a good way to estament but not a very good way to bid a job. with an eastament you can go up if the job presents unforseen obsticals.

with a bid you are responcsable for anything that may happen. you may think that said job will take 2 days but that could be changed by weather acts of god or just pain ole mis caluculations . so if you bid you need to add a margin of error of around 20% to cover you self if this happenes

if you have been doing this for a while like some of us you can see most of this stuff ahead, but sometimes you will still get cought off gaurd

if you are fairly new to all of this, i would suggest to work by the hour for a season or two

so i say "very carfully"