Work Comp Q's

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LFalcon426, Oct 25, 2006.

1. LFalcon426

LFalcon426 LawnSite Member

When my husband first started this company I called the state to see if lawn care was classified as a construction or non-construction industry and was told it was non-construction so we didn't need work comp insurance if we had less than four employees and that we didn't need to file for exemption. Has anyone else heard this? Was that person an idiot or is this true? I just want to make sure this is correct, because I've tried to explain this to owners on commercial bids and I feel like we're not being awarded the bid because we don't carry work comp. I've read Chapter 440 of the Florida statutes, but I'm still not sure about the industry classification. Please help! Adriana
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I also do not have to carry worker's comp as I'm a solo LCO. But, most commercial accounts require LCO's to carry it to cover their own butts. Fortunately for me, since I'm also a full-time Raleigh firefighter with a salary and full medical insurance, all the commercial accounts that required it, they let me slide. Of course, I absolutely have to carry liability. Good Luck. :)
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I beleive its less than 3 employees, and you need to file for the exemption for yourself.
  4. LFalcon426

LFalcon426 LawnSite Member

We carry general liability up to $1 million. Is it worth it to purchase work comp insurance just to get the job? and what's the going rate? Sometimes I wonder if these commercial accounts are really worth it...except for the ones who don't care about work comp as long as you have general liability insurance.
  5. GameDawg33

GameDawg33 LawnSite Member

Just file in order to become exempt,and you should be fine.
  6. flcbs

flcbs LawnSite Member

If you have anyone that is not a 10% holder in the company you should have work comp in the state of florida...PEO's offer the best resources for Florida small business....PS 2007 rates are listed and cheaper than 05 & 06!