Work for a tractor...

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by ALarsh, May 1, 2007.

1. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

So I was throwing around the idea of getting a compact tractor (b7800 or 3030) and try to get some grading jobs, new lawn installs, light landscaping work and more mulch jobs for it. I have the funds to go head and get a like new one with under 100 or so hours but I'm concerned with keeping it busy. I do not advertise for these services right now because I don't have the means of installing a new lawn with my equipment. Its kind of like a run around, if I never get a tractor I will never advertise for these services, which means I could be limiting my potential but if I get a tractor, will I be able to get enough work to keep it busy? Like I said, I have the funds and means to get one and I don't have to struggle to pay for it, but I don't want to get it if it isn't going to make me more money than I do now.

The only planned work I would have for it now is plowing 51 of my residential driveways all in the same neighborhood (3 mile route), which would leave me more time taking the truck out of the neighborhood and getting the other driveways.

I am also slightly concerned with the increased overhead, such as getting a dump trailer, more insurance, maintenance and I would then have to get offsite storage or a rental until because I will be out of space in my garage.

Is it worth it? What do you guys think?

2. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say that you really don't need one and the added cost is not needed. I think you are a great business man, so if anyone could make it work you would. I have a hard time keeping my JD 4310 busy between the farm and light landscaping jobs and driveway grading. It is exactly two years old now and I have 210 hours on it. that inclused all the landscaping work, farm work, and snow plowing. Heck, 1/2 those hours are just plowing. There have been times when I havn't used it for two plus weeks.

3. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Once people know you have it, it doesnt stop working. Ya, I only have 170 hrs on mine and its a year old but its paying for itself VERY nicely:drinkup: .
    Buying my tractor and buying my 1 ton were the 2 BEST investments ever. You can work faster and be more productive with a machine of good size.
    Good luck man but only you can decide what you need.
    James

4. Buster57

Buster57 LawnSite Member

If you will be grading you will want the B3030. I am on my 3d Kubota and 3d Deere.
    Both are great machines.

5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Iron really holds its value, you can always sell the machine and get the cash back?

6. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

That's true, the resale is great on these machines, any good brand.

7. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Austin,

As said above, if anyone is going to hit instant success off of that investment, it will be you. Watching you grow over the last year has really inspired me to be like you when im seventeen (only fourteen now). If you get the oppurtunity, go test drive a John Deere 3320 or other compact series, my buddy just got one and i spent a large majority of my day on it today, hauling a trailer, moving little things and i have moved dirt with it before. The little features make it amazing. It has a fantastic and really comftorable seat, lights that kick butt, and is a solid machine all around. Good Luck and keep us posted! -Mitch-

8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I appreciate all the comments. I think I have pretty much decided that I am busy enough right now... We have 4 full days of mowing (2-3 guy crew) that starts when we get out of school and the past several weeks the other two days have been booked with landscaping jobs (Sunday off).

Thanks for all the comments. I will reconsider next year when I should have more time.