Work For Free!!??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by desert rose gardening, Nov 5, 2004.

1. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you do work for free? Im like the rest of you guys I want to make money from the moment I fire up my truck till the time I shut her down. I mean like family members friends ect. I have been doing my parents house since I was strong enought to pull the rope and start the mower. (Thrity years later) And im still doing it! After my sister had a baby I did her yard for about ten years. And I used to help this old Cowboy I rode horses with, he had cancer and after his kemo he was to weak to mow so I would mow his feild's. You know this kind of work, the kind you can't charge for.

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

The only freebie I do is my sister-in-laws house that she rents. Pretty much an even exchange for all the years of free babysitting she's given us. Although I have warned her about the possibly of a dogcrap surcharge for next season. 4 large dogs between her and her roommates.

My parents insisted on paying me to mow. I have them convinced that $20 IS my going rate...LOL

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

G/f's...but there are "benefits" that go along with that one. LOL :)

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We do flower beds and such for the Chamber Of Commerce each year, and always something for the Parks and Recreation division if needed.This year it was a dog park, the first in the city. I do my Mom's house, I still have a younger brother living w/ my dad, so he can take care of that yard..lol

5. steinerguy

steinerguy LawnSite Member

Last year I did a friend of mine that was in Iraq......I don't consider that free based on what he was doing. I also do my churches for no charge but get a great deduction at the year end as a contribution...... and it is great advertising..... and it is my choice. I was never asked by the church.....i volunteered as it was something I can do.

6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Most LCOs have a customer or two that work is discounted for. I have one customer who we do very discounted work for. Every once in awhile I drag the equipment over to the mom-in-law's house and cleanup leaves (of course for free).

Friends of mine up the street I snowplow for free. They have a very easy driveway, and he helps me with some mechanical work (he is a great backyard mechanic) and computer stuff etc.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i cut my sisters, and one time this guy called me to mow his grass, he had terminal cancer, i cut it for free for 2 years till he passed. certainly i jacked someone else to cover this cost, but i wouldn't accept his money

8. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

i cut and do leaves and things at my parents lake cottage. Thas about it. I even charge my Granny

9. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

i do my grandmas and my house for free. My grandma gives me a 12 pack of stewarts root beer so its just as good as money :drinkup:

10. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

My wife's grandma we cut but aty a discounted rate. She instists on paying. But we do other things for her for free. And my inlaws yard we'll trim the bushes or help get up leaves for free. It is family and they return the favors in other ways.